Graham Wheelers Book (Some Hops)

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
brewzer

Graham Wheelers Book (Some Hops)

Post by brewzer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Just wandering in GW's Book it says on afew recipes Some Hops does this mean the same as the ones in the recipe or is it unknown and left for you to decide

Thankyou in advance Adam

lancsSteve

Re: Graham Wheelers Book (Some Hops)

Post by lancsSteve » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:42 pm

Is this for dry hopping? In which case a handful of the aroma hops is usual but another good aroma variety could be used.

And which Graham Wheeler book (I have 3... Home Brewing, European Beer Styles and Real Ale)

mark

Post by mark » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:44 pm

They are errors and there is an errata page somewhere.
I was looking for it myself just the other day, but could not find it.
Hopefully someone will pop up with a link.

ATB

Parva

Post by Parva » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:47 pm

The hops that are missing from the ingredients that are labled 'some hops' are in actual fact East Kent Goldings.

brewzer

Post by brewzer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:52 pm

Thankyou Parva

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:05 pm

It seems a while since we last had the 'Some hops' question. :lol:

beermonsta

Post by beermonsta » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:33 pm

mark

Post by mark » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:08 pm

Parva wrote:The hops that are missing from the ingredients that are labled 'some hops' are in actual fact East Kent Goldings.
Is there anywhere where the amounts of East Kent Goldings are specified.....or do we just use some??

ATB

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:16 pm

mark wrote:
Parva wrote:The hops that are missing from the ingredients that are labled 'some hops' are in actual fact East Kent Goldings.
Is there anywhere where the amounts of East Kent Goldings are specified.....or do we just use some??

ATB
The quantities are given in all of the recipes, there's three columns for three different brew lengths.

The problem is only with the ingredient names which are listed down the left of the chart, EKG hops are always incorrectly listed as 'Some hops'.

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:59 pm

My book says "Reprinted 2009 with minor corrections" and some of the hops might be Whitbread Golding, so I posted the full hop schedule as outlined in the book I have here here in that other thread. :)

Parva

Post by Parva » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:47 am

mark wrote:

ATB
As Sparky Paul said, the quantities are given, it is only the specific hops that are not (described as 'some hops') and these are EKG.

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:35 am

Parva wrote:As Sparky Paul said, the quantities are given, it is only the specific hops that are not (described as 'some hops') and these are EKG.
As i said above, that information is not completely correct according to the "Reprinted 2009 with minor corrections" version of the book that I have here, check the last post in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25699

boingy

Post by boingy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:10 am

Wolfy wrote:
Parva wrote:As Sparky Paul said, the quantities are given, it is only the specific hops that are not (described as 'some hops') and these are EKG.
As i said above, that information is not completely correct according to the "Reprinted 2009 with minor corrections" version of the book that I have here, check the last post in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25699
Perhaps Graham could clarify this.

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:36 am

boingy wrote:Perhaps Graham could clarify this.
I've had a look back through Graham's posts, and I found this...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27265&p=296986#p296986

So, it appears that he did actually clear this up, and that "some hops" is Goldings or WGV, depending upon the recipe.

I'm not sure exactly where the EKG suggestion came from, but I originally thought it had come from the horse's mouth, so to speak... it seems now that it may have been a concensus reached during a discussion of the matter. I'm afraid I am also guilty of repeating this error a few times on here, and I apologise... it appears that it was a load of cobblers. #-o

boingy

Post by boingy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:55 am

sparky Paul wrote:
boingy wrote:Perhaps Graham could clarify this.
I've had a look back through Graham's posts, and I found this...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27265&p=296986#p296986

So, it appears that he did actually clear this up, and that "some hops" is Goldings or WGV, depending upon the recipe.

I'm not sure exactly where the EKG suggestion came from, but I originally thought it had come from the horse's mouth, so to speak... it seems now that it may have been a concensus reached during a discussion of the matter. I'm afraid I am also guilty of repeating this error a few times on here, and I apologise... it appears that it was a load of cobblers. #-o
Blimey. I would have sworn that all the missing ones were EKG too. I guess it was a bit like Chinese whispers and "Whitbread Goldings" and "Goldings" merged into generic "Goldings" which then became EKG because that's what most folk would use if they saw "Goldings".

Mods, can we copy that errata into a new post then lock it and make it sticky?