Another Wherry question

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Glamrox
Steady Drinker

Another Wherry question

Post by Glamrox » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:19 pm

10 days ago I started my first kit; wherry. After I had started it I then came across the posts on here about it sticking, but I figured, hell with it I'd already started it just give it time. As I say 10 days ago it was started, kept in a room 16-20C, just checked the sg thinking it would be ready to keg it up and the sg is 1018. I believe the final sg should be 1014 so should I give it a couple more days and see if it comes down some more, or keg it up? I'm guessing at 10 days theres little point in pitching more yeast?

Thanks in advance and apologies for another wherry topic!

AT

Post by AT » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:44 pm

other people here know better than me but i think i read somewhere that 1018 is good enough, hope it turns out good for you

Glamrox
Steady Drinker

Post by Glamrox » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:06 am

Thanks for the advice, just given it a gentle rousing and will see what happens come tomorrow.

What is dry beer enzyme? Not something I have heard of before, is it like yeast nutrient?

Glamrox
Steady Drinker

Post by Glamrox » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:11 am

Huzah! Now seems to have a little life so I should be OK. I'll be off to the homebrew shop tomorrow to prepare for a second kit and will definitely pick up some safale s04 and if I can find it some dry beer enzyme.

Thanks for the advice and links :D

Hoppkins

Post by Hoppkins » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:08 am

My wherry has been in secondary since 11th Jan and is still cloudy. Tastes darn nice though :)

Hoppkins

Post by Hoppkins » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:21 am

Well it's me 28th Birthday on 15th so im saving it for then. Will be the first beer i've left to mature for a decent time (E.g. more than 3 weeks)

:D

Best part is i'm getting vouchers for a homebrew shop for b'day so i can go start AG :D (Well....Daabs mini mash thing!)

prodigal2

Post by prodigal2 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:10 pm

Hoppkins. you'll find the Wherry really turns the corner after 3 weeks, it will really of been the worth the wait. :D

And I think the wherry will be a good prezie to your self on your birthday. Enjoy :=P

Glamrox
Steady Drinker

Post by Glamrox » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:11 am

Well I tested mine again tonight and it had dropped down to 1014 :D so its now in the barrel. The beer from the trial jar tasted ok as well so hopefully 3-4 weeks time I should have be able to enjoy.

Hoppkins: I hope your wherry is tasting good ready for you to enjoy your birthday drinks!

Hoppkins

Post by Hoppkins » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:58 am

Glam, it tasted great after a week which i found a bit freakish. I tasted again after another week and it didnt taste so good (but i was a bit out of my head at the time).

I tasted again this week after 26 days in secondary and it is DIVINE.

I'm leaving it till 16th so thats another 10 days :) Can't wait :D

prolix

Post by prolix » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:24 am

Hoppkins you have a stronger will than me my Nog was supposed to be left until the 15th feb, doubt there will be any left by then :lol:

StrangeBrew
Under the Table

Post by StrangeBrew » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:48 pm

How'd the Nog turn out? What did you manage to get the FG down to?