hi all

Introduce yourself to your fellow brewers here.
Badger
Sober

Re: hi all

Post by Badger » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:30 pm

Thanks for all your comments i know the kit is a bit too big but it was a good price and i pondered going in with a group of friends and doing it that way to spread the cost and the load but in the end i went alone.

My friend ran through things with me and i did start doing research watching vids and reading articles and then time has slipped by once more and my friend whilst still around has other work presures on him now.

I do have a smaller setup left over from the extract brewing and could use that initally, but it is all plastic so would have to look and see if i can make a hybrid system for heating etc. this would work well in the future to test trial smaller batches of the new wonderful brew.

I have a joinery workshop / garage at the bottom of my garden and i am looking to get it setup in there, ideally as a permanent setup. i have an upstairs which would probably serve space wise for the setup with the fermenter downstairs as the temperature is stable downstairs but gets hot upstairs especially in the summer, more work could be done regarding insulation and ventilation and that might make it work. this is something i am considering for the workshop any way to make it a more confortable space.

The workshop is currently being reconfigured to earn a small living but is not my main core business and i would like to bring brewing time to tie in together as there seems to be big time slots in the brewing process that i could be on hand for but working on something else at the same time. this is why i am thinking about getting thigs setup now as i would like to factor things into the new space.

noted on the firkin i will save them for the partys " there aint no party like a firkin Party"

My plans are for a water supply, upstairs sink and drainage, possible dishwasher. Initial setup will be the three vessels with a pump in between each. the HLT and the Tun both have thermometer dials ftted but not sure about the kettle. in regards to the herms and the temp monitoring for that i think ill leave till ive had a go with the basics. looking at the board feeds it is a can of worms.

i have a number of hobbies and this seemed a good bit of fun to have a go at although it is more complicated than just drinking the stuff. And thats where i am really now just need to sort the wheat from the chaff and have a go.

You guys are obviously old hands how did you start and what did you start with and where are you now? any pointers apart from the previous for the Newbeerbie

regards Badger

MashBag
Under the Table

Post by MashBag » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:51 am

Have you got a plan for 200l of beer?

I can see "hobby" words above. But the kit says "small commercial brewery".
At around £100 worth of ingredients a go. It will take a few goes to get it right.

But they're are a few of us here that can help you out drinking it. 🤣🤣

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:07 am

On the other hand, it is likely that most hobbyists try to get the maximum volume possible out of their kit at a great expense to their efficiency and risk to losses such as boils-over.

Last November I brewed 10 gallons of J W Lees Best Mild from 1952 to Ron Pattinson's blog recipe from 6 kg of malts, a kg of Tate and Lyles refined cane sugar inverted with dollop of Black Treacle, and a couple of packets of low cost hops. I don't see why a recipe like that shouldn't be extended to 18 gallons and fill a couple of sanitised firkins. Some can be bottled after a week or two conditioning, the second firkin and not break the bank.

Also I won't forget my first all grain brew which, despite all its faults, since learned how to avoid, gave me all the encouragement and confidence necessary to advance.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Badger
Sober

Post by Badger » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:20 pm

Have you got a plan for 200l of beer?

I can see "hobby" words above. But the kit says "small commercial brewery".
At around £100 worth of ingredients a go. It will take a few goes to get it right.

But they're are a few of us here that can help you out drinking it. 🤣🤣

i did purchase the 100 litre fermenter to help reduce the size of output but maywell be that i need to look at a 50 litre job as well to start with i need to ensure that the heating elements would be sufficiaently coverd with that amount. a smaller fementer may well be cheaper than the wastage.

I can see "hobby" words above. But the kit says "small commercial brewery". you hit the nail on the head but it is what i have to work with and at least it akllows room for growth.