18th century style Brown malt 'at home' - final

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: 18th century style Brown malt 'at home' - final

Post by orlando » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:44 pm

E mail sent. Crushed by the way,forgot to mention this in the email.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Bertiebrewmonster
Sober

Post by Bertiebrewmonster » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:37 am

I know this is an old post, but I want to turn my hand at making some of this stuff. I have a large computer controlled fluid bed coffee roaster that gives me precise control over both the air flow rate and temperature. I too have read as many of the old texts that I can find on this subject and am somewhat confused by what I have read. My understanding is the malt is first dried as per pale malt, then the heat is tuned up quickly while the grain still has a lot of moister, causing it to pop. The heat is then reduced and the malt dried over an extend d period of time up to 6 hours or so. My understanding is the temperature does not go above 190F. I've also read somewhere to that if the grain is held between 135 - 145F the interior of the kernel turns brown. In your posting I get the impression you achived the color by roasting at a high temperature, albeit briefly, at high heat. I would appreciate any detailed info you can provide on your process.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:51 pm

Ben's in NZ now but might still monitor the thread. If not try a PM, although I'm not sure he kept his old email address. If he doesn't reply PM me and I will get in contact with him for you.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer