Crisp Extra Pale Maris Otter

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Crisp Extra Pale Maris Otter

Post by Matt in Birdham » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:04 pm

I thought I might give a 25kg sack of this a go, just for a change, having got through 2x sacks of Fawcett's Golden Promise.
Anyone have any experience with this malt? I brew pretty much exclusively pale ales, and thought it would be interesting to try. I heard a suggestion that DMS could be an issue and that this malt should therefore be treated like pilsner, with a 90 minute boil. Any thoughts?

Piscator

Re: Crisp Extra Pale Maris Otter

Post by Piscator » Sat May 14, 2016 5:12 pm

I'm interested in this too - I'm planning a series of summer beers using a cream ale type grist but with jacked up hop schedules and this malt sounds like a convenient way to avoid haze issues when chilled.

Did you try this yet Matt?

Cheers
Steve

Eadweard
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Eadweard » Sat May 14, 2016 7:28 pm

Yes, it's lager malt made from MO. I'd boil for 90 min to reduce DMS.

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Tue May 31, 2016 8:09 pm

Is it always necessary to boil low colour malts 90 minutes because of DMS? It's not extra pale marris otter but is is a very low pilsner malt.

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue May 31, 2016 9:05 pm

SH*T! I just opened a sack of Muntons extra pale MO and brewed a Punk IPA. It went like clockwork with a 60 min boil. Then I read this! Ironically, I normally do a 90 min boil, regardless. :oops:

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:30 pm

McMullan wrote:SH*T! I just opened a sack of Muntons extra pale MO and brewed a Punk IPA. It went like clockwork with a 60 min boil. Then I read this! Ironically, I normally do a 90 min boil, regardless. :oops:

I wouldn't worry most modern malts don't suffer this issue. I think the only one that 8s suspect able is floor malted pilsner

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:27 pm

It makes more of a difference if you do a whirlpool / hop stand. At 80c you're still going to be producing DMS but you're not boiling any more to get rid of it. Therefore you need a longer boil to create and drive off as much DMS before the hop stand so that there's not enough left in the beer to be noticeable.
Never enough time...

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:11 am

At this point I think I must have tried 1000 home brews between judging competitions and my home brew club and friends.

I can only remember a couple that had that vegetal aroma you get from DMS. I really don't think DMS is a problem with modern malts unless you're boiling for a very short time or have the boil covered the entire time with no vent. 60 minute, even 30 minute boils have had no issues.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Kohoutec
Steady Drinker

Post by Kohoutec » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:06 pm

I know this is an old thread but timely it popped up as I just had a bag of it delivered. How are people finding it?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:50 pm

I have made a few brews with it both as 100% of the bill and others as the main base malt. I missed this thread the 1st time round and have always found it to be fine with a 60 min boil, my taste senses may not be as receptive as some when it comes to DMS etc but no off flavours as I recall doing it for this period of time.

I make a nice Kolsch-esque brew using WLP029 and light hopping with it which went down well over the summer.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:10 am

I've used it a few times too, never had a problem with 60min boils. Nice malt

Kohoutec
Steady Drinker

Post by Kohoutec » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Thanks both. Got a brew day planned for next week with it

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

BeerCat

Post by BeerCat » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:19 am

I have used this quite a bit and only do a 60m boil. Its a decent malt imho.