Fawcett vs Weyerman Vienna & Munich Malts

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Fawcett vs Weyerman Vienna & Munich Malts

Post by donchiquon » Wed May 31, 2017 1:34 pm

I've just realised that the Vienna and Munich malts I've ordered are very different in spec from the German versions.

The Uk Vienna (Fawcett, I think) versions are described as "Lager and Ales up to 20% grist. Main Characteristics - Dark, Aromatic and Flavourful EBC - 8 - 10"

The German Vienna (Weyerman) versions are described as "For use in Vienna Beer Style, "Maerzenbier", "Maibock", Amber Lager, Golden Ale, and October Beer amongst others at a rate of up to 100% Produces full bodied, golden colored smooth tasting beer EBC 7 - 9"

This explains why a previous recipe using Munich ended up a bit cloying and much richer than planned.

Does anyone know roughly how much I should scale down the UK versions when used in recipes calling for Weyerman? Thanks!
Ian

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Fawcett vs Weyerman Vienna & Munich Malts

Post by Jocky » Wed May 31, 2017 3:43 pm

I have also started wondering the same thing, and for pretty much the same reason. When trying to interpret recipes it's difficult to know whether the writer is using Weyermann or something else. I think more than often it's the something else, and I think that it's a bigger difference than many realise.

In the US Briess, like Fawcett, recommend only 10-30% for dark beers and bocks, and I found a thread on Homebrewtalk warning of overuse of Briess Munich: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=170863

Equally, some US sourced recipes may require the bigger flavour from a domestic Munich rather than the Weyermann.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed May 31, 2017 4:11 pm

Good point - I hadn't thought of those recipes which call for UK/US stronger version Viennas and Munichs.

I've just checked with Rob - he recommends scaling back UK versions to roughly 40% of what a recipe requiring Weyerman would need e.g., 1kg Weyerman = 400g UK Vienna/Munich
Ian

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:28 pm

I'm late to this discussion but I can definitely confirm that you can use Weyermann's Vienna as a base malt totally 100% of the ingredients. I'm drinking a clone of Graham Wheeler's Bass mild subbing the mild with Vienna right now. I've brewed it a few times and it's not cloying at all, easy drinking all the way. I don't have access to English or American malts but it makes you wonder why they call it Vienna if it can only form 20% of the recipe. Still, I'm sure it would add great depth to an American brown ale or porter recipe.

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields