Flaked Corn where to buy??

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
alexlark
Under the Table

Re: Flaked Corn where to buy??

Post by alexlark » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:44 pm

Just sampled my Coors clone which I used ground cornmeal, long grain rice and lager malt. Lovely light lager and perfect for a quencher on a hot day. Going to brew this again.

I cooked the cornmeal and rice in separate pots then added to the mash with the malt. Made it a bit more manageable. Looked a right weird concoction until after the mash!

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:18 pm

alexlark wrote:Just sampled my Coors clone which I used ground cornmeal, long grain rice and lager malt. Lovely light lager and perfect for a quencher on a hot day. Going to brew this again.

I cooked the cornmeal and rice in separate pots then added to the mash with the malt. Made it a bit more manageable. Looked a right weird concoction until after the mash!

Yep,, try porrage oats with it,,,,, right puk wierd looking Sh!ty stuff
Lol. but looks just a normal mash after the 1hr mash.. Lol
To Busy To Add,

super_simian
Piss Artist

Post by super_simian » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:20 pm

I've done it a few times; the night before, 500g polenta to 2L water, bought to a boil, then cooked to mush. Left to cool, once it hits 70C throw in a handful of crushed base malt. Thick porridge magically becomes loose in minutes*!

The next day, include the 2L (or whatever) of water in your total water calculation, and throw the lot in the mash. Bumps up my efficiency from a steady 72% to 77%+.

*truly, before malt is added you can stand a spoon up in it, and in minutes it goes runny and thin. And it's super sweet.

Makes a great trad mild, bitter or old ale. Going to do a US style lager in a month or so using the same method.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:41 pm

I recently bought a 1.5kg bag of fine ground cornmeal to use on my pizza peel, I probably use less than 1g a pizza so it's going to last me until the end of time if I don't do something else with it, it didn't occur to me when buying it that I could use it in brewing :)

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:21 pm

super_simian wrote:I've done it a few times; the night before, 500g polenta to 2L water, bought to a boil, then cooked to mush. Left to cool, once it hits 70C throw in a handful of crushed base malt. Thick porridge magically becomes loose in minutes*!

The next day, include the 2L (or whatever) of water in your total water calculation, and throw the lot in the mash. Bumps up my efficiency from a steady 72% to 77%+.

*truly, before malt is added you can stand a spoon up in it, and in minutes it goes runny and thin. And it's super sweet.

Makes a great trad mild, bitter or old ale. Going to do a US style lager in a month or so using the same method.

I never thought of this, but I'm not that organised the night before, too pissed to care.. Lol

Cheers for the heads up on this method..
To Busy To Add,