Baird's Malt

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
robbym123
Steady Drinker

Baird's Malt

Post by robbym123 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:46 pm

I wanted to share my positive experience with Brewers Select/Baird's Malt.

I was a little unsure about buying from this source, as I had read online that Baird's Malt hadn't worked so well for people.

However, I had a business trip up the A1 planned so thought I would give it a go.

The ordering process was a little clunky, first you select the products you want online and complete an online registration. Then they send a form to complete with a whole load of questions like 'name of brewery' to which I answered n/a. Finally they call to take payment.

I chose two 25kg bags of grain, one lager and one pale, at £12.45 per bag. I kind of expected to be charged vat on top at some stage, but wasn't.

I have only tried the lager malt so far. The only problem I have experienced being a higher efficiency than I expected, meaning that I will have to liquor back my 6% kolsch when I bottle.

Over all, I'm impressed. The ordering process will be quicker next time, now that I have an account set up. They were nice people, even loading the sacks into my car for me. The grain has worked well and the price is unbeatable.

I would definitely give it a go if you happen to be in the Peterborough area.

mozza
Under the Table

Re: Baird's Malt

Post by mozza » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:43 am

I bought a sack of their MO ages ago from a micro brewery near me. I was impressed with it I have to say. Made some tasty beer. Not sure why some people have had bad experiences with it lol
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:07 pm

It was pretty tricky to get an account when I went recently. They kindly loaded up a couple of hundred kgs into my car for me though, not all for me. Nice people. Not tried the grain yet

robbym123
Steady Drinker

Post by robbym123 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:50 am

I would describe it as clunky rather than tricky, online registration followed by a one page form. A bit frustrating when you are used to click and pay, but not particularly problematic. For me, it was worth the small extra effort to get hold of grain at £12/ sack. Previously I had been paying £17-20 plus delivery from the 2 Irish suppliers, so taking into account the avoided delivery charge it is under half the price. The other thing is that, from Peterborough I was able to continue my journey south, via Copper Kettle, just outside Kettering, buying a few kg of their speciality malts to complete my recipes.

dcq1974
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by dcq1974 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:07 pm

What's the website address please?
DCQ Ph.D

author in

Handbook of Alcoholic Beverages: Technical, Analytical and Nutritional Aspects, 2 Volume Set, 1204 pages, edited by Alan J Buglass

**OUT NOW**

To find out more and buy online, go to
http://as.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle ... ption.html

robbym123
Steady Drinker

Post by robbym123 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:08 pm

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:24 pm

At Civil Life Brewing Company in St Louis, Missouri, USA, we import English malt, hops and yeast for all our English-style ales. We don't like Baird's Maris Otter as much as Thomas Fawcett's, but we do really love Baird's CaraStan 30-37, Black Malt, Black Barley, and Roasted Barley. Great flavourful stuff.