Torrified wheat

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
m_rawdin
Piss Artist

Torrified wheat

Post by m_rawdin » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:45 pm

How many people out there add torrified wheat to their brews? Most recipes you find in books/online don't have torrified wheat in them, what are peoples thoughts?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/341609746264187/

Fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Smoked porter
Drinking: Cider, witbier, brown ale, Milk stout
Planning: Gamma Ray clone v3

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Re: Torrified wheat

Post by gr_baker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:56 pm

It's in plenty of recipes. Take a look at Graham Wheeler's books for some examples. I'll use it in a recipe if specified but haven't done any comparisons with and without to see what the differences might be.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:39 am

I almost always use it in my stock ales. It helps with head retention and I quite like the slightly wheaty flavour.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

7593steve
Sober

Post by 7593steve » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:21 pm

I use it for head retention in a lot of my brews, but I don't worry too much if I have none.
Did I read somewhere recently that you could substitute shredded wheat for it (other cereals are available), or did I dream that?

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:25 am

7593steve wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:21 pm
I use it for head retention in a lot of my brews, but I don't worry too much if I have none.
Did I read somewhere recently that you could substitute shredded wheat for it (other cereals are available), or did I dream that?
Shredded wheat used to be used by home brewers quite a lot years ago. I've not used it myself but as they claim there's nothing added and nothing taken away and I dare say it is well gelatinised during process, I'm sure it is fine to use in beer.
Best wishes

Dave

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Thu May 14, 2020 11:14 am

Resurrecting this old thread...

I have a plan to brew a Belgian Wit bier and so ordered some unmalted flaked wheat, but it got substituted by Torrified wheat (just don't get me started on BrewUK... ](*,) ).

Anyone know - or even have a worthwhile opinion - on whether there'd be much difference in the final beer in replacing 35-30% unmalted flaked with with a similar quantity of unmalted torrified wheat?

I'm almost certainly going to brew this way, anyway, so I might have an answer to the question soon enough!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Thu May 14, 2020 12:01 pm

It's obviously processed differently but I think the object is the same - make the grain's starch available for the mash enzymes to have a go at them. I don't believe the "torrifying" process is done with enough heat to alter the flavours appreciably?

I'd use any of these unmalted forms (including shredded wheat!) interchangeably and not be expected much noticeable change in flavour. Once-upon-a-time when I probably thought wheat malt had some sort of magical property, I'd switch any mention of unmalted wheat for the malted variety (that probably did have an impact on flavour?).
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing