CRISP CLEAR CHOICE ALE MALT

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
LeeH
Under the Table

CRISP CLEAR CHOICE ALE MALT

Post by LeeH » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:38 pm

Anybody use this malt?

I'm looking to buy a sack of base malt (was looking at the trusty MO)

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... -ale-malt/
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: CRISP CLEAR CHOICE ALE MALT

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:35 pm

Yes I used it. I can’t vouch for its purported haze reduction qualities as I used it with a yeast that didn’t floc well.

It made good beer, but there was an element of the malt flavour that I wasn’t totally sold on. Can’t quite explain it further that.

Leaning more towards bread/wort rather than toast/biscuit/nutty

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:01 pm

It just seems like any other malt, really.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:32 am

I went for the Minch @ under 20 quid a sack and have stuck with that as my go to base malt.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:02 am

The clear choice malt can be slightly beneficial for clearing - e.g. if you are in a hurry and can't condition at cellar temperatures. But it is just low in polyphenols, it doesn't block them from other sources (like hops) and doesn't magically remove other causes of haze.

So IMO the potential benefits depend on what particular issues (if any) you have with haze, and if it would do anything to reduce those that (for some reason) your normal process doesn't. Otherwise I'd rather go for their MO at similar money or something cheaper if/where appropriate.
Kev

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:05 pm

Yeah, good malt for chill haze. Does what it says so it’s great for cold pale beer. Got a nice honeyish taste too! I know a few fairly large breweries round here who use it en masse...

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:43 pm

I just used this malt for a NEIPA, i only just boiled on friday I think it was, but after the boil it came out very clear. Which is a first for me, however I had also added protofloc which I'd not used before and also treated my water with gypsum and calcium chloride and whirlpooled a lot too heh, so I'm not sure the major contributor in clarity at the moment heh. I'm very curious how clear it will be after fermentation. (I understand NEIPAs aren't very clear though ;), but have read that apparently later hopping during fermentation can result in a clearer beer apparently)

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:01 pm

chris2012 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:43 pm
I just used this malt for a NEIPA, i only just boiled on friday I think it was, but after the boil it came out very clear. Which is a first for me, however I had also added protofloc which I'd not used before and also treated my water with gypsum and calcium chloride and whirlpooled a lot too heh, so I'm not sure the major contributor in clarity at the moment heh. I'm very curious how clear it will be after fermentation. (I understand NEIPAs aren't very clear though ;), but have read that apparently later hopping during fermentation can result in a clearer beer apparently)
My money is on the protofloc

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:06 pm

Protofloc...bums! reminds me I forgot to add protofloc to yesterday's brew. Wort looked nice and clear when I transferred to the fermentasaurus, but I guess time will tell (as ever!)

(PS Sorry for hijacking the thread!)
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:32 am

I've brewed several sacks of it (from Worcester Hop shop) and had no issues.
It tastes fine and I have been doing a lot of SMASH's over the past winter. (high og 70+ but still SMASH's)