Maltmiller fine crush, ok for use in a mash tun, with a false bottom?

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Maltmiller fine crush, ok for use in a mash tun, with a false bottom?

Post by Kev888 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:45 pm

chris2012 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:08 pm
Oh sorry I got you now, I was confused about the two figures for some reason. This has just given me an idea, since I have a pump on my HLT and Mash tun, I guess I could recirculate the water from HLT to Mash tun, prior to adding the grain, so that there is no drop in temperature while transferring (the mash tun will obviously eventually lose heat though). Then add the grain. And turn off the pumps. (Kind of like RIMS, but not pumping the actual wort, just liquor)
Yes that can work. There will still be 'some' temperature losses between HLT and MT so as before the HLT will need to be warmer than the strike temperature wanted, but not by as much and it would potentially be much easier to tweak. Though I would turn off the pumps before mashing in.
Kev

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:36 pm

chris2012 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:08 pm
Oh sorry I got you now, I was confused about the two figures for some reason. This has just given me an idea, since I have a pump on my HLT and Mash tun, I guess I could recirculate the water from HLT to Mash tun, prior to adding the grain, so that there is no drop in temperature while transferring (the mash tun will obviously eventually lose heat though). Then add the grain. And turn off the pumps. (Kind of like RIMS, but not pumping the actual wort, just liquor)
If I understand you correctly, you'll be moving the liquor in a circle. HLT>MT>HLT>MT etc etc. If you do this you'd definitely have to turn the pumps off BEFORE adding the grain, or all sorts of problems could happen.

Or you could just transfer the liquor once at the higher temperature and let it cool down as it transfers heat to the MT!

After the first brew you'll have a very good idea of the right temperature for the liquor in the HLT. Go too hot to start with. It's much easier and faster cooling liquor down than it is warming it up.

Guy

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Yeah I'd definitely turn it off before adding the grain. But yes, that's what I meant.

I might possibly look into either doing RIMS again instead though, or doing HERMS. As then I would be able to
do stepped mashes too.

" It's much easier and faster cooling liquor down than it is warming it up." -- that's a very good point, as I found the other day heh.