Paul's Malt

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Paul's Malt

Post by Doreblade » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:40 pm

Just sourcing ingredients for my next brew and my LHBS is selling 25kg bags of Maris Otter crushed grain from Paul's Malt. Don't know the price yet though.

Malt Miller are the bees knees as we know (I'd use other phrases but decency keeps me straight) but I can't collect from them so the six quid delivery fee ups the cost/pint ratio a bit.

Being a Yorkshireman (yep - don't like to overspend) I wondered if anyone had used Paul's grain and their opinions of their products?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

a-slayer
Hollow Legs

Re: Paul's Malt

Post by a-slayer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:38 pm

Myself and three other brewer friends have been using it for the last few months and has been as good as any other malt I have used.
We have tried the pale malt, maris otter malt, cyrstal malt and the lager malt, no problems with any of them.
Hope this helps.

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:45 pm

a-slayer wrote:Myself and three other brewer friends have been using it for the last few months and has been as good as any other malt I have used.
We have tried the pale malt, maris otter malt, cyrstal malt and the lager malt, no problems with any of them.
Hope this helps.
Certainly does - cheers for the thumbs up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:55 am

The last time I saw Paul’s Malt here in the US was about 1997! The Homebrew store owner thought it was less dusty than the leading brand at the time which was probably Munton’s. As others said I thought it was as good as any other malt and would happily use it again if I saw it.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:15 pm

Paul's were bought by Axereal (Boortmalt) in 2010, who went on to buy Cargill's grain business last year, so I'd imagine the distribution of Paul's across the pond will be improving in coming years as the acquisition beds down and they start cross-selling.

Kevwaller
Steady Drinker

Post by Kevwaller » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:00 pm

Crossmyloof use them for their grain supply, I looked buying direct but it’s by the pallet so not viable on my own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk