Price of malt in UK

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
IPA
Under the Table

Price of malt in UK

Post by IPA » Tue May 24, 2022 8:51 am

I am amazed at the current price of malt in the UK compared to Europe.
This is the price at a leading UK supplier https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... 25kg-sack/ £36.25
This is an average price in Europe.
Brouwland. https://brouwland.com/en/malts/11389-we ... 25-kg.html
Converted to Sterling this equals £27.50
Braumarkt. https://braumarkt.com/Weyermann-Pale-Ale-25-kg
About the same price
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Price of malt in UK

Post by Cobnut » Tue May 24, 2022 10:18 am

Prices have most certainly risen.

I have the luck to be friends with a bloke who has an account at Muntons and to live quite close to their depot. Crushed MO sacks are now approx. £19.50, crushed pilsner c. £17.50, etc.

If memory serves, I bought a sack last year and the price of MO was nearer £16.50. So c. £3 increase in around 12 months.

Certainly buying from the HB suppliers makes for rather more expensive malts (and hops!), but there beer is still cheap enough and usually superior to what one can buy elsewhere...but that is another oft trod path here on JBK!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue May 24, 2022 11:31 am

U.K. malt in the EU is usually significantly dearer though. It does not seem to have such a price jump the other way around though. Both markets seem to be rising fast though and that’s even with forward contracts not expiring for a while yet.

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Tue May 24, 2022 12:00 pm

I wonder how much more it will be here in the US. I only use MO and only locally grown malt is more expensive because so little is produced on the East coast.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Tue May 24, 2022 1:16 pm

£24 if you get it shipped from Ireland:

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/ho ... ath=69_265

I got some from this source for £19 a while back on special offer, so worth looking out for deals

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed May 25, 2022 8:37 am

Cobnut wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 10:18 am
Prices have most certainly risen.

I have the luck to be friends with a bloke who has an account at Muntons and to live quite close to their depot. Crushed MO sacks are now approx. £19.50, crushed pilsner c. £17.50, etc.

If memory serves, I bought a sack last year and the price of MO was nearer £16.50. So c. £3 increase in around 12 months.
I agree. Malt is about the same for me.
Just snagged 5kg of hops £60, that I split with a mate.

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Fri May 27, 2022 10:49 pm

The others will catch up - Malt Miller were always on the more expensive side anyway, but I imagine the real factor is that they get through so much of it that their retail prices reflect wholesale prices a month ago, whereas others will have bought their stock several months ago before the price rises.

There's plenty more to come - I've seen professional brewers complaining that their new prices are like buying retail! (ie have gone up at least 40+%)