2 Row Barley vs 6 Row Barley

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

2 Row Barley vs 6 Row Barley

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:10 pm

I'm planning on using an America recipe and I've noticed it calls for 'Pale Malt (6 row)'. I seem to remember reading in a book I sadly no longer own that there is a difference between 6 row and British 2 row. At a homebrew level, is this something I should worry about, or can I substitute gram for gram with no issues?

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: 2 Row Barley vs 6 Row Barley

Post by Jocky » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:29 pm

Substitute it, it’ll be fine.

UK barley is a bit more rich and flavoursome than either US 2-row or 6-row, so to really reproduce US recipes it’s sometimes worth replacing some of the pale malt with a pilsner or lager malt.

But until you’re really trying to hone a recipe it’s not really worth worrying about that.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:24 pm

As Jocky says, there's a difference between US and British Barley, just as the difference in climate. Barley is grown around where I live, with East Anglia and Border Counties and others famous for what they produce. I've only seen 6 row barley when walking across farming land now used for other purposes. British breweries did use it in the past for its higher enzyme content when a large proportion of the mash was unmalted adjuncts. British barleys have less enzymes and less protein content, so will produce a clearer beer with better flavours but can take longer to convert carbohydrates to sugars. If you want more protein, buy a lower grade malt, or as Jocky says, some of the poorer lager malts, most modern ones are today well modified.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:59 pm

Thanks guys!