Simpson's Malts.

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
thepatchworkdoll
Piss Artist

Re: Simpson's Malts.

Post by thepatchworkdoll » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:34 pm

Hi Eric
You can get 5Kg bags from Sainsbury for £3.75 (75p Kg).
Regards
Patch

Mike123
Tippler

Post by Mike123 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:50 pm

If it's any consolation, the starting price for malt will be based on ex farm price for barley which were historically high last harvest. This year it looks like the heat will have gone from the market, but not (hopefully) back to 2021 levels.

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:06 pm

Mike123 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:50 pm
If it's any consolation, the starting price for malt will be based on ex farm price for barley which were historically high last harvest. This year it looks like the heat will have gone from the market, but not (hopefully) back to 2021 levels.
Actually a better yield last year than was expected given the weird weather, but stocks were low from the previous year. Main factor for the maltsters though has to have been the energy costs.
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:50 pm

thepatchworkdoll wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:34 pm
Hi Eric
You can get 5Kg bags from Sainsbury for £3.75 (75p Kg).
Regards
Patch
Was in our local Sainsbury's looking at their sugar earlier this week and didn't see that Pete. Was it from cane or beet? Chemically they are the same, but I prefer to stick with cane sugar. I'll be back there soon.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Mike123
Tippler

Post by Mike123 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:21 am

clarets7 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:06 pm
Mike123 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:50 pm
Actually a better yield last year than was expected given the weird weather, but stocks were low from the previous year. Main factor for the maltsters though has to have been the energy costs.
Yields were definitely better than expected last year and who knows what they will be this year. I am sure the energy costs are the main factor this year.
A couple of years ago I had discussions with an Italian company that makes drum malting machines with a view to doing some commercial malting. The machines themselves were £800k, by the time I had added storage silos and sorted a building around it all I was was up to £2m. The machine capacity was limited so margins would have been really tight and that was before energy rocketed. I stopped at that point. There's other things to do.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:14 am

Hummm ... I didn't really start this thread as another 'how cheap can I make "beer"' thread. I did it as more of a 'how much difference to flavour' does this malt make.

e.g. Simpson's Amber Malt is unique and certainly worth the extra (in the right beer?). Their Imperial Malt adds something but only in the right circumstances and seems a bit short-lived (month?). Their Cornish Gold Malt ... ???

"Chavallier barley malt" costs me an-arm-and-a-leg compared to bog-standard pale malt. Yet all I've got in stock as a base malt at moment is Chavallier barley malt (20+Kg) because I think it makes beer that is substantially better than from "bog-standard pale malt". That's the sort of conversation I was after. If I'm going to spend over-the-odds, am I going to notice a marked difference? Spending over-the-odds for something that makes no appreciable difference, now that would be a waste of money.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:42 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:14 am

e.g. Simpson's Amber Malt is unique and certainly worth the extra (in the right beer?).
It's certainly unique and maybe worth the extra to some people but is definitely an acquired taste, one I don't have :D
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo