Reminder about hops seeds: now is the time.

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Reminder about hops seeds: now is the time.

Post by seymour » Tue May 21, 2013 1:52 am

AN UPDATE ON THE FLYER x. O.P. SEEDLINGS:

Well, I transplanted 134 seedlings into individual cups with mini trellises, and I still have dozens to go. Several days have gone by and they're all still green and growing, so I must not have damaged the roots too badly. As you can see, the first set of "true leaves" are tiny but already resemble larger hops leaves. This has definitely given me an opportunity to hone some nurseryman skills.

I'm still amazed by the success rate of these buggers! But I tell you what: I'm done babying them, now it would be way too much work to carry them all in from thunderstorms and stuff. I can't even imagine repotting 150+ plants into 5 gallon containers. I'll keep watering these little guys of course, but it's time to let some natural selection take place--survival of the fittest--since I really want the most productive few anyway.

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:48 am

Outstanding dedication to the cause Brother Seymour!
Just like trying new ideas!

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Tue May 21, 2013 10:29 pm

Outstanding job Seymour. I did get a couple of Endeavour seeds to take but they got overheated in the outhouse and promptly died. :(

On the other hand I now have 300+ cuttings (post to follow) from the National Hop collection, 3 days in and I haven't killed any yet so fingers crossed. [-o<
They have their own mini greenhouse and I will be keeping a very, very close eye on them.

Now all we need is an acre of land to put them in, me to increase the plant stock, you to learn about how to select the best plant. My work is easy but according to Dr Peter Darby experience is what's needed in order to select a viable plant from a seedling. I really envy you Seymour and then don't all at the same time! :D
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

pofke

Post by pofke » Thu May 23, 2013 8:46 am

This is really outstanding and inspiring to experiment, keep it up!

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu May 23, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks guys, it's fun to see how far it goes!

timothy
Steady Drinker

Post by timothy » Mon May 27, 2013 2:01 am

So cool. I hate to say it, but your little stakes to accompany your baby hop plants are quite cute. Ps. I'd love to adopt one of these little guys perhaps one day. But maybe I'll just start out with godfather duties.

SiHoltye

Post by SiHoltye » Mon May 27, 2013 7:56 am

My hop seeds have sprouted a few days ago so hope to have some Sussex grown Chinook to play with in a couple of years. May do others too, been easy so far. Well done Seymour.

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed May 29, 2013 9:47 pm

UPDATE ON THE FLYER x O.P. SEEDLINGS:
192 of these guys, and still more sprouting. We've had 3 or 4 severe thunderstorms, wild swings in temperatures (already 92 F/33 C today!), they're absolutely crawling with weird little red ants, and I've forgotten to water them for days on end. Guess how many I've managed to kill off?

That's right. I mean, C'MON! It's like these things can't die. I've been conducting a small but serious hops breeding program for years and I've never seen anything like this. If it's true your growers are abandoning Flyer hops, that means A) they don't realize how hardy these are, B) their other plants are so much better it defies imagination, or C) they're crazy.

timothy
Steady Drinker

Post by timothy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:04 am

So it's been a month, how are these guys (hopefully girls) doing?

SiHoltye

Post by SiHoltye » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Sussex Chinook today. Maybe a dozen plants. :D

seymour

Post by seymour » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:16 am

SiHoltye wrote:Sussex Chinook today. Maybe a dozen plants.
You sprouted Chinook seeds?! Way to go, man!

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:37 am

I harvested some Amarillo seeds to try growing next year... what you reckon the chances of me being successful are?

SiHoltye

Post by SiHoltye » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:09 pm

Piece of cake. Why wait til next year? Tell you what, post half to me and we'll have a race. no seriously if you have a few to spare....PM

seymour

Post by seymour » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:30 am

bigdave wrote:I harvested some Amarillo seeds to try growing next year... what you reckon the chances of me being successful are?
I'm fairly surprised the Amarillo had seeds at all. US hops growers are much more fastidious about rooting-out any males (which are obviously the only way the flowers would become fertilized and produce seeds). Good luck, those could be some very interesting hybrid plants!

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:36 am

From 200g I only found 7-8 seeds (but I wasn't looking that hard).