Pellet or Leaf - which do you use and why

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!

What form of hops do you prefer to use?

Leaf
57%
Pellets
43%

Total votes: 54

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Pellet or Leaf - which do you use and why

Post by Jocky » Fri May 20, 2016 1:31 pm

Mostly I use pellets:
Take up less space in the freezer;
Easier to get hold of many hops I like to use;
More consistent;
Suck up less wort;

If I'm in a hurry on brew day I bag the pellets so I can just pull them out, chill and drain the boiler.
If I'm not in a hurry I will leave them loose, and then chill and leave to stand for an hour or two so they drop out before draining.

My only exception is when using noble hops in delicate beers where I prefer to use leaf hops.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Fri May 20, 2016 3:07 pm

Onbalance I probably prefer pellets, but I use both. Making small batches, I lose less wort to pellets. They keep well and take up less space in the freezer. But it's marginal and I tend to buy whatever is available, fresh and priced well.

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Fri May 20, 2016 3:15 pm

Always used leaf until this very day when the nice man at malt miller rang me to say they'd ran out of challenger leaf, so put in pellets and a free hop sock! Now thats customer service. So soon i will be popping my pellet cherry for the first time...so to speak. Exciting times. The hop sock looks very close knit material so hoping for limited gunk going into boiler mush.....

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri May 20, 2016 4:16 pm

I insist on hop ‘leaf’. I’m not just an old romantic either. They create a very effective filter bed and they make clean up less messy, IMO. They remain in the boil too. Considering the anatomy of hops, the leaves/'flowers' (strobili) containing the glands holding much of the volatile stuff we’re after, they probably lose something during pelletisation, being ruptured during compression. From memory, this has been demonstrated and the process was modified somehow. Whether it improved the processed, pelletised product, I don’t know. The perceived benefit of pellet is storage, but this is an issue for suppliers/sellers and breweries, not most home brewers. I suspect pellet hops have been popularised by the reinvention of beer, aka craft brewing. Hop leaves do suck up a lot of beer when dry hopping, but a 'hop tea’ gets us out of that predicament and actually adds a little volume :D
Last edited by McMullan on Fri May 20, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs

Post by sladeywadey » Fri May 20, 2016 4:19 pm

I use leaf for bittering and pellets for flavour/aroma/dry-hop. I use the leaf because it helps the filter ( I use a grainfather). I used to use a hop spider but recently found that if you stir for a couple of mins at flameout, then let it sit for 10 mins, then most of the pellets debris stays in the middle.

a-slayer
Hollow Legs

Post by a-slayer » Fri May 20, 2016 5:09 pm

Both for me, but never pellets on their own as always need the leaf hop to help filter. Ratio of up to 40% hops seems to work fine with my filter which is just copper tube with holes in the bottom covered in a nylon bag.

fego
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by fego » Fri May 20, 2016 6:23 pm

Interesting that (when writing this) leaf is most popular in the vote yet most of the comments seem to support pellets.

I think we'd have a different result if the options were extended to add a third option of both or neither.

For me, leaf is my go to but pellets work well too
Tea is for mugs...

VANDEEN

Post by VANDEEN » Fri May 20, 2016 7:52 pm

Cant say which i prefer as I've only ever used leaf, and a few drops of oil if i felt something was lacking ( not that impressed with the oils) will probably give pellets a go when i dry hop something.
Quite into Citra in bought beers so will poss' start with that.

basswulf
Piss Artist

Post by basswulf » Fri May 20, 2016 8:55 pm

Pellets - easier to store. Since I'm doing short run, stove top BIAB brewing, I don't work through the hops very quickly.

Wulf

chub1

Post by chub1 » Fri May 20, 2016 9:48 pm

Only ever used pellets, find them easy to use and store :)

dbg400
Steady Drinker

Post by dbg400 » Fri May 20, 2016 9:56 pm

Wonkydonkey wrote:I use both, it can depend on the supply of the type I want at the time of ordering, then I just use them in the brew accordingly. But I do prefer leaf for the boil and pellets for dry hopping.
Just the same for me.

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by keith1664 » Fri May 20, 2016 10:15 pm

I use both but mainly leaf. If using pellets in the boil I usually use a bit of leaf to help with the filter bed.
For dry hopping I prefer pellet.
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Fri May 20, 2016 10:25 pm

I always buy hop pellets. The only leaf hops I use are the ones I grow.
I'm just here for the beer.

Mr Squiffy
Steady Drinker

Post by Mr Squiffy » Fri May 20, 2016 10:28 pm

I don't mind either leaf or pellets in the boil but I try to avoid pellets for dry hopping, some types seem to escape my hop ball and the sediment ends up in the bottles.