Any expert/experienced hop growers out there?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Any expert/experienced hop growers out there?

Post by Meatymc » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:52 pm

I transferred all my hop plants to a purpose built new bed late last year - 2 and 3 year olds plants plus some rooted shoots from those to double up. All are growing well but I'm getting a lot of laterals really low down - some of which are already well over 2 feet long - the lead bines being about 12 feet long.

Not had laterals this low down in the past and am thinking is it because I'm growing them at an angle of 45 degrees across 2 x 6ft panels rather than straight up - it's the only way I can contain the expected full 'height/length' of the adult plant by harvest time. Can explain the layout better if it helps.

pas8280
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Location: Hindley Green near Wigan but far enough away for it to count :)

Re: Any expert/experienced hop growers out there?

Post by pas8280 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:01 pm

Can’t really help with the why because I’m no expert but my second year fuggles have developed long laterals about 2 foot up as well where as the EKG and cascade all appear fine
Paul
The Hollyhop Brewery 100 litre stainless

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her - W.C. Fields

Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol - anon

pas8280
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Location: Hindley Green near Wigan but far enough away for it to count :)

Post by pas8280 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:01 pm

Can’t really help with the why because I’m no expert but my second year fuggles have developed long laterals about 2 foot up as well where as the EKG and cascade all appear fine
Paul
The Hollyhop Brewery 100 litre stainless

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her - W.C. Fields

Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol - anon

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:17 am

pas8280 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:01 pm
Paul
Hi Paul

Are your bines vertical where the laterals are growing? It's the fact I'm having to train mine at a 45 degree angle after about the first 15 inches that's bothering me