Citra comparable available in the UK

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:20 am

Which variety, available as a rhizome and suitable to grow in the UK. most closely compares to Citra in your opinion?

I'm currently growing Cascade, First Gold, Fuggles, Northdown, Santiam and Styrian Golding - none of which come close in my opinion.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Citra comparable available in the UK

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:19 pm

Are you looking to grow a hop that has the citra character in the UK?

I think you will struggle. Both the hop variety and the growing conditions combine to make the hop experience, and we don't have the weather to grow hops locally that really push out that C-hop experience.

There are some UK based hops that are starting to express those interesting citrus hop flavours that we start to associate with new world hops, and they might be worth experimenting with - like Jester, Olicana etc. Olicana IIRC had a very interesting character, and while it adds a lot of lemon/citrus it never loses the english character either. Could make a great summer quaffing ale in the right hands.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:45 pm

Looking at willingham nursery's list, the strongest american style flavoured ones would probably be centennial and chinook. I grow centennial here in scotland and it isn't as potent as the commercial US stuff as TheSumOfAllBeers says, our climate doesn't suit those types of hops. But it is a nice hop, mine has some lime evident in taste which is nice. It's more potent than UK commercially grown cascade I've had before for certain

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:13 pm

There’s nothing really. Citra is citra, hence why it’s so bloody expensive and so hard to find in decent volumes. I’d probably echo centennial as your best bet but still nothing like citra really.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:12 pm

I punted this post out in hope more than anything else - there's obviously a reason why it's still held under licence in the US.

I suppose I either take a hit in buying small quantities at a high cost or try and find a few like-minded souls who'd be happy to share the cost of buying in larger quantities at hopefully, a proportionally lower outlay.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:37 pm

Meatymc wrote: I suppose I either take a hit in buying small quantities at a high cost or try and find a few like-minded souls who'd be happy to share the cost of buying in larger quantities at hopefully, a proportionally lower outlay.
There are a few home brewers who contract out their hops, and sell on what they don’t need.

There are also a few brewers who will take a punt on a 5kg bale/bag and sell on the rest or look for interest in a group buy.

There has been a few deals in the past for bulk buys on this forum. They typically cluster around when new harvest hops come available

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:57 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:37 pm
There has been a few deals in the past for bulk buys on this forum. They typically cluster around when new harvest hops come available
It was one such deal that's got me hooked on Citra in the 1st place. I did ping a query on the 'wanted' but no replies unfortunately.

Best deal I can find at the moment is crossmyloof but never used them

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:19 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:19 pm
There are some UK based hops that are starting to express those interesting citrus hop flavours that we start to associate with new world hops, and they might be worth experimenting with - like Jester
Although I was looking for rhizomes rather than hops I am keen to support UK growers/developers so did a bit of research on Jester and decided to give it a go - not risking much at £15.05 for 500g delivered albeit 2017 harvest!