Shorter, cooler dry hopping times

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
f00b4r
Site Admin

Shorter, cooler dry hopping times

Post by f00b4r » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:02 pm

An interesting post Scott Janish on why dry hopping cooler and with shorter contact times may be beneficial in a few ways.

Chug
Tippler

Re: Shorter, cooler dry hopping times

Post by Chug » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:10 am

Interesting read, thanks for posting f00b4r :D

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:48 pm

f00b4r wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:02 pm
An interesting post Scott Janish on why dry hopping cooler and with shorter contact times may be beneficial in a few ways.
Yes, thanks f00b4r - really interesting read. Put's some more detailed science behind the shorter exposure argument and happy to see my usual 3 days is not overly long.

What it does suggest though is I'm hopping at far too high a temperature - usually add after moving to secondary and remove before dropping to clear. Will be trying the lower temp hop when I start brewing agin in 2020.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:16 pm

f00b4r wrote:
Good post.
I recently had to bottle a schwartz bier about 40 hours after dry hopping with saaz at 46f (8c).
I'm just here for the beer.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:22 pm

Rookie wrote:
f00b4r wrote:
Good post.
I recently had to bottle a schwartz bier about 40 hours after dry hopping with saaz at 46f (8c).
Were you happy with the results? I get to drink quite a lot of schwarzbier living in Germany, including a lot of stuff never usually seen more than 20 miles outside the brewery (thanks to an amazing beer shop in Berlin that gets hold of the stuff - I was blown away by some Bamberg stuff this Xmas). Except for the new craft beer breweries they seem to usually avoid dry hopping their lagers but it does seem to work well sometimes.

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:31 am

f00b4r wrote:
Rookie wrote:
f00b4r wrote:
Good post.
Were you happy with the results? I get to drink quite a lot of schwarzbier living in Germany, including a lot of stuff never usually seen more than 20 miles outside the brewery (thanks to an amazing beer shop in Berlin that gets hold of the stuff - I was blown away by some Bamberg stuff this Xmas). Except for the new craft beer breweries they seem to usually avoid dry hopping their lagers but it does seem to work well sometimes.
Excellent article and thanks for sharing!

As for Bamberg, one of my top regular beer destinations. I am besotted with Klosterbräu Schwärzla. My favourite Schwarzbier to date. Fässla Zwergla is also really distinctive, Mahrs Bräu Ü is a classic and that is before we even consider the Rauchbiers or the in-house brews at Weyermann!

Wow I need to book another trip!!! See you there maybe? I also need to add Berlin to the list of places for 2020. Image

Matt

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:31 am

Franconia as a whole is still my favourite beer destination

Annafest is worth going to, start at the top and work your way down

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:46 am

Hanglow wrote:Franconia as a whole is still my favourite beer destination

Annafest is worth going to, start at the top and work your way down
Indeed Annafest is on the list for 2020. Had a great day at Erlanger Bergkirchweih in the summer, so another one ticked off. Image

Matt

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:28 am

I’d not (shockingly) actually heard of Annafest but Franconia is on my must visit list, there is a bar in Berlin that actually gets casks from there regularly but that does look amazing with everything just stuck in the forest and with a big variety of local beers.
I’m planning on going to Bamberg in the coming weeks with a friend of mine who also home brews, if we start early on a Saturday it’s possible to jump on the high speed train and be back by 10/11pm with almost the whole day in Bamberg for about £30 return.
Some of the beers from theHopfen Und Malz beer shop I grabbed for over Xmas (the seasonal smoked beer was stunning and has already sold out in their brewery in bottles so I am going to see if I can grab some more in the next few days):

It’s like an Aladdin’s cave for German beer lovers and really worth a visit if you come to Berlin; here beer shops and corner shops usually have tables outside that you can sit and chat, especially there with the incredibly knowledgeable owner or just have a wegbier on the way back to your destination.

If you are going to Berlin/Bamberg let me know, always up for a couple of beers and some craic.

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:44 am

Don't forget to go to the Malz & Mehr shop at Weyermann in Brennerstrasse (short walk from the station) and grab some some of their very limited and hard to find beers brewed on their small in-house brewery. They are also available to enjoy at the quirky Cafe Abseits. Great beer list there!

Still, the Spezial, Mahrs Bräu Ü and Klosterbräu Schwärzla are the highlights for me on tap. Schlenkerla is legendary but a wee bit too smokey for me for a session!

I am pleased you are having a day trip and I feel thirsty thinking about it!

I will drop you a line when I head to Berlin and happy to buy you a beer. Maybe a "Jim's Field Trip" to Annafest could be on the cards too...

Matt

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:30 pm

This website is good for franconia as a whole, they also have a very old school discussion forum

http://www.franconiabeerguide.com/

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:30 pm

Rookie wrote:
f00b4r wrote:
Good post.
I haven't tried one yet. I bottled six days ago and my conditioning temperature is in the 50f +- range (10c +-). The plastic bottle I used to keep track of the carbing process is harder than when I bottled, but softer than what I'm shooting for. I expect it to take at least 2-3 weeks.
I'm just here for the beer.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:27 pm

Digby wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:44 am

Maybe a "Jim's Field Trip" to Annafest could be on the cards too...

Ha! Digby,
Just what I was thinking! =D>
Flights are cheap enough.
What dates are we looking at? :D

WA

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:28 pm

I just saw you can get flights from London for less than £25!

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:57 pm