Propagating Hops from Rhizome Crown.

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Gobaloon
Tippler

Propagating Hops from Rhizome Crown.

Post by Gobaloon » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:45 pm

Hello

Has anyone tried to do this? I have been reading about it but don’t have the cagones to do it...so far.

I have a 5 year old Goldings plant. And some other 3 year plants. I have propagated from shoots and been successful, but a good crown can give off up to 15 new plants (supposedly!)

Just hate idea of cutting my little babies up. Help needed!

The other thing if I did it I may not have the garden space to do it or a partner who appreciates the garden being turned into a hop yard but needs must.

Thx

CJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chug
Tippler

Re: Propagating Hops from Rhizome Crown.

Post by Chug » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:32 am

I haven't taken any rhizome cuttings but I have successfully used the layering method to take some first gold cuttings. 8)

https://twothirstygardeners.co.uk/2016/ ... -its-easy/

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:54 pm

Gobaloon wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:45 pm
Hello

Has anyone tried to do this? I have been reading about it but don’t have the cagones to do it...so far.
I've split a crown successfully but only because I had to move it to a new location. I actually moved all my hops (6 varities) and it's been interesting to see how each are affected. This did set them all back - the split crown no more than the others, but some have takenm it better than others. Last years (dried weight @ 20% moisture) came in at 3.25KG and I'm expecting that to increase this year by some mrgin although we'll see.

I've also let a couple of side shoots (running underground) root and mature until they can support themselves - potted them up and planted the following Spring. They are then 1st year plants obviously so you'll be waiting at least 3 years before they are producing anything like a mature crop.

And on the space front, do what I did - tell SWMBO it's a veg garden you're building!

rpruen
Steady Drinker

Post by rpruen » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:16 pm

Maybe this will be of some use?

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible ... plants.htm

Its relatively easy from what I remember, my father used to just cut the rhizomes into 6" sections and plant the resulting bits. They grow into new hop plants reasonably quickly, but take a while to get established.

Regards

Richard

Gobaloon
Tippler

Post by Gobaloon » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:22 pm

[quote="Meatymc"][quote=Gobaloon post_id=848291 time=1582497925 user_id=18482]
Hello

[/quote]

I've split a crown successfully but only because I had to move it to a new location. I actually moved all my hops (6 varities) and it's been interesting to see how each are affected. This did set them all back - the split crown no more than the others, but some have takenm it better than others. Last years (dried weight @ 20% moisture) came in at 3.25KG and I'm expecting that to increase this year by some mrgin although we'll see.

[/quote]
Hahaah. Thx great feedback. I have been taking cuttings from last year. Was quite excited to see this pot last weekend sprouting like crazy. Only posting this now as I showed the wife with tears streaming down my face that my baby survived the winter and my reply was meh!

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202002 ... 685dd3.jpg[/IMG]

Gobaloon
Tippler

Post by Gobaloon » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:32 am

[quote="rpruen"]Maybe this will be of some use?

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible ... plants.htm

Its relatively easy from what I remember, my father used to just cut the rhizomes into 6" sections and plant the resulting bits. They grow into new hop plants reasonably quickly, but take a while to get established.

Regards

Richard[/quote]

Thx Richard