Northern Brewer

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Midlife
Piss Artist

Northern Brewer

Post by Midlife » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:14 am

Hello!... I am planning a Kolsch and noticed I have an unused bag of Northern Brewer, is this a good pairing? I've done some research to check but not much was coming up.

Cheers

Doug

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Re: Northern Brewer

Post by Kingfisher4 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:19 am

Midlife wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:14 am
Hello!... I am planning a Kolsch and noticed I have an unused bag of Northern Brewer, is this a good pairing? I've done some research to check but not much was coming up.
Cali Common instead? Made an enjoyable one from Greg Hughes' "Home brew beer" book; used 100gm pack of Northern Brewer perfectly.

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:06 pm

Germans value the soft bitterness of eg Brewer’s Gold for helles in particular, in fact they're about the only people who still grow it, so I'd say its granddaughter NB would certainly be plausible in a German context if not the absolute first choice. You're not exactly throwing buckets of hops at a kolsch in any case.

As K4 says, it's the classic hop for California Common, but it was so widely grown in Europe in the mid-20th century that it's appropriate for pretty much any trad British or Belgian beer.

Midlife
Piss Artist

Post by Midlife » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:04 pm

Good tip, I have the book. Cheers.