Size of hops on the bine

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
wilfh
Piss Artist

Size of hops on the bine

Post by wilfh » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:52 am

I’ve noticed that my goldings hops have a large variation in size. Any ideas why? Is it nutrition or environmental?

There doesn’t seem ti be a pattern were on the bine the largest are.

Cheers
Wilf

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Size of hops on the bine

Post by Meatymc » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:38 am

wilfh wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:52 am
I’ve noticed that my goldings hops have a large variation in size. Any ideas why? Is it nutrition or environmental?
There doesn’t seem ti be a pattern were on the bine the largest are.
Cheers
Wilf
I'm currently harvetsing First Gold, Styrian Golding, Santiam, Fuggles and Northdown - all of which have large variances in hop size. I grow mine in zig-zags so only a percentage are lucky enough to be in full sun but even then, not all the time - these tend to be the largest. Others, some of which barely get direct sunlight at any point are much smaller and less compact but interestingly, seem to carry more lupilin by size/weight. So, you could get 2 or 3 large hops which have a good position, the next few crowded by leaves and therefore smaller/weaker and then another open spot where they may again be larger.

The only hop I have with any great consistancy in hop size is my Cascade that isn't quite ready yet but this has the best position of the lot and gets the most direct sunlight.

FWIW I think the variance simply reflects the growing position.