Wild hops everywhere

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
f00b4r
Site Admin

Wild hops everywhere

Post by f00b4r » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:53 am

I have mentioned before in another thread that hops are just growing wild everywhere in Berlin but I was astounded yesterday when out down by one of the lakes. The tree below is about 15-16m high and just covered head to foot in hop plants. They are almost ready to pick too but I might see how some other ones smell first, they need a little while longer but will see how ones from other areas smell; last year most of the hops here were super intense but it was a really hot sunny summer.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Wild hops everywhere

Post by Rookie » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:36 pm

I'd seriously think about harvesting some of them and adding them to the end of the boil in a small batch to see what they're like.
I'm just here for the beer.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: Wild hops everywhere

Post by f00b4r » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:50 pm

I’m going to have a wander down to the ones on the shore of that lake and see how they compare and then do exactly that with whichever seem best. Today I went for a walk and the hops nearer my house looked good but still didn’t smell that great; last summer they were super intense so it must be the poorer weather this year.