British hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

British hops

Post by bitter_dave » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:26 am

Hi everyone,

What are your favourite British hops? Or perhaps just British hops you like that don’t get talked about much.

The range available seems to have risen a lot in recent years, and I’ve not tried the newer ones.

Aside from Fuggles and Goldings, I have used Challenger quite a bit over the years. More recently I’ve made some nice beers with First Gold hops. My most recent bitter just used Bramling Cross, which has quite a nice fruity edge to it I think.

What about you?

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: British hops

Post by Rookie » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:06 pm

bitter_dave wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:26 am
My most recent bitter just used Bramling Cross, which has quite a nice fruity edge to it I think.
So does admiral.
I'm just here for the beer.

Fingar
Steady Drinker

Post by Fingar » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:44 pm

+1 for Bramling Cross, but must give Admiral a go.

Fr_Marc
Steady Drinker

Post by Fr_Marc » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:08 pm

Bramling Cross is my favourite as well.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:06 pm

The value of Fuggles and Goldings is carved in stone. But some of the 20th century hops that are being mentioned aren't far behind. But there is a rash of newer ones to answer the current new world "craft beer" craze that must surely be worth a try (but I haven't tried 'em yet).

Those "un-British" British hops should be getting a spotlight ...
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:40 pm

Thanks folks. Admiral sound interesting from a quick google; may have to give them a try.

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by MarkA » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:09 am

I'm going to try Harlequin and Olicana in the near future (as recommended in the Malt Miller's latest Q & A on Youtube), but always enjoy Fuggles, EKG, First Gold and Challenger. Challenger makes a great SMaSH brew in my opinion!

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:59 am

MarkA wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:09 am
I'm going to try Harlequin and Olicana in the near future (as recommended in the Malt Miller's latest Q & A on Youtube)
Thanks Mark. Please let us know what you you think of them and what you brew

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:19 am

Lots of options, and some bargains, at the Worcester hop shop: https://www.worcesterhopshop.co.uk/hops ... ops&page=4

Fingar
Steady Drinker

Post by Fingar » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:19 am

MarkA wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:09 am
I'm going to try Harlequin and Olicana in the near future (as recommended in the Malt Miller's latest Q & A on Youtube...
I do an 'approximation' of Proper Job, which I call Improper Job - posted viewtopic.php?f=5&t=82721 - which uses Amarillo instead of Cascade. I intend using Harlequin next time instead of Amarillo, which I suppose will make it Im-Improper Job!

Cheers... Fingar

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:18 am

I do a cascade 100g single hop ale. Very nice session ale and very easy to make.

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by MarkA » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:30 am

bitter_dave wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:59 am
Thanks Mark. Please let us know what you you think of them and what you brew
Will do, though it may be a while
Fingar wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:19 am

I do an 'approximation' of Proper Job, which I call Improper Job - posted viewtopic.php?f=5&t=82721 - which uses Amarillo instead of Cascade. I intend using Harlequin next time instead of Amarillo, which I suppose will make it Im-Improper Job!
That sounds like an interesting experiment, I'm going to try a PJ clone at some point so definitely interested in your findings with Harlequin

Lederhosn
Tippler

Post by Lederhosn » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:51 pm

I'm not that familiar with British hops. But I'm thinking of a series of Bavarian styles made with British hops. I know that Anton Dreher was very fond of Goldings, so I might start with that.

Suggestions welcome. I do mostly Dunkel, Helles and Wheat. There is the occasional Pils.

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:18 pm

Done a bit of reading and Harlequin hops sound interesting; this is from the malt miller website:
This British hop is one of the most exciting new hops around, and you’ll be seeing plenty more of it with the likes of Oakham and St Austell all releasing beers with it as the star of the show.

St Austell brewer Rob Orton used this great new hop for its wonderful citrus fruit and floral aromas alongside a combination of Charles Faram’s own Fuggle hop for bittering. Maris Otter malt provides a simple but incredibly effective malt base, and gives the beer a vibrant golden hue, whilst having enough robustness and structure to support, but not overpower this wonderful new English hop variety.
I might give this hop a go, although I would make a beer using this hop exclusively at around 4%-ish abv (Marris Otter + 5% crystal) rather than make something as strong as PJ.

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:22 pm

MashBag wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:18 am
I do a cascade 100g single hop ale. Very nice session ale and very easy to make.
Did you use UK Cascades MB?