Old hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Re: Old hops

Post by Northern Brewer » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:58 pm

MashBag wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:38 am
Has anyone got any tips for brewing with older hops? You know the ones you bought with a recipe that never happens.... And they are now vac packed in the freezer.
They keep surprisingly well if cold and not exposed to oxygen, they can decline at rates of <10% per year in those conditions so don't assume they're knackered. Let your nose decide - the cheesiness test is a good one.

Having said that, aside from the usually advice to use hops that have lost all their alpha acids in sours/lambics etc, old hops can be used as "enhancers" in the whirlpool of hoppy beers - it's all to do with hop acids oxidising to branched-chain fatty acids such as 2-methylbutric acid, which can enhance the "tropicalness" of other hops and also esterify during fermentation to esters such as 2-methylbutyl isobutyrate (2MIB).

See Scott Janish's book, or he touches on it in this article :
https://scottjanish.com/survivables-unp ... op-flavor/

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:27 pm

I feel another amazon purchase coming on. Thank you.

That article sort of explains some of my findings.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:12 am

Blimey. I have just noticed that one supplier has 2017 hops for sale. They won't be vac packed or frozen. Me thinks they last longer than I thought.