Home grown hops 2023

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
clarets7
Piss Artist

Home grown hops 2023

Post by clarets7 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:36 am

A bit of sunshine and break in the rain means only one thing at this time of year - a walk round the garden to think about the year ahead. I'd like to add a few different hop varieties as at the moment I've only got Challenger, and was thinking of getting a few dwarf varieties, but the only one on offer seems to be First Gold. I did have one of those but it died on me, so would like to try some others. Anyone know of hop suppliers that have a selection of dwarf hops? Or ideas for other UK hops that will do OK on a low trellis?
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Home grown hops 2023

Post by Eric » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:12 pm

No, I don't, but my plan for this year is to lift a Bramling Cross and replace it with Saaz that has spent several years in a pot and produced nothing. If you want the Bramling Cross, I'll send it to you when it is lifted.

Bramling Cross is exactly that, not as those descriptions suggesting it to be an attempt to produce an American style hop. It dates from 1927 when a traditional Golding was crossed with a male wild hop from Manitoba. All I've harvested have similarities to Golding and no aggressive traits that might be present if grown in latitudes below the 49th parallel. It does shoot for the sky, but wherever receiving direct sunlight produces flowers. This plant has been established for 2 years and was last trained along a fence for 10 feet before climbing a lanyard to a chimney and will be a decent size.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:54 pm

clarets7 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:36 am
A bit of sunshine and break in the rain means only one thing at this time of year - a walk round the garden to think about the year ahead. I'd like to add a few different hop varieties as at the moment I've only got Challenger, and was thinking of getting a few dwarf varieties, but the only one on offer seems to be First Gold. I did have one of those but it died on me, so would like to try some others. Anyone know of hop suppliers that have a selection of dwarf hops? Or ideas for other UK hops that will do OK on a low trellis?
I did buy 3 dwarf First Gold from simply hops back towards the end of Autumn last year , trimmed them back and planted them and they took off and grew shoots again . Cut them back again when it turned cold a few weeks back and fingers crossed they will take off again in the spring .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:39 pm

Successfully growing First Gold (Prima Donna), Cascade, Fuggles, Northdown, Styrian Golding and Santium. Understand you going for dwarf varieties but (apart from First Gold) I grow all mine within a 6 foot frame - running them zig-zag wise so they ultimately end up about 25ft (+) 'long' rather than tall!!!

It does mean more work admittedly and you need decent quality twine and vine eyes for support but be able to grow any variety is worth it.

Surprised you lost a First Gold. I've had to move my original plant twice (and the Northdown and Cascade once) and it now grows in all three locations. In fact, the whole lot produced so much I couldn't use even half of it.

If you do go down this route (zig-zagging) it pays to ignore the first half dozen shoots the plant puts out. These are 'bull shoots' and produce a lower harvest than later ones simply growing much faster with bigger gaps between florets. Leave them where they are until you've a secondary set then remove.

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:33 pm

Eric wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:12 pm
No, I don't, but my plan for this year is to lift a Bramling Cross and replace it with Saaz that has spent several years in a pot and produced nothing. If you want the Bramling Cross, I'll send it to you when it is lifted.
Thanks for the offer Eric, not tried Bramling Cross for a few years, not one of my go to hops so maybe somebody more local would like it? The dwarf hops are just to cover an existing pergola in the garden, I was just thinking some of the dwarf varieties might be better.
Meatymc wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:39 pm
Surprised you lost a First Gold. I've had to move my original plant twice (and the Northdown and Cascade once) and it now grows in all three locations.
I know what you mean, my original Challenger plant has spread all over the hillside but no sign of the First Gold. I suspect it never got fully established, and probably got dug up by the dog/Fox/Badgers!
Meatymc wrote:
If you do go down this route (zig-zagging) it pays to ignore the first half dozen shoots the plant puts out. These are 'bull shoots' and produce a lower harvest than later ones simply growing much faster with bigger gaps between florets. Leave them where they are until you've a secondary set then remove.
Yes, I've heard this before, but not actually done it intentionally, although late frosts may have done it without me knowing!

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:33 am

clarets7 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:33 pm
Meatymc wrote:
Surprised you lost a First Gold. I've had to move my original plant twice (and the Northdown and Cascade once) and it now grows in all three locations.
I know what you mean, my original Challenger plant has spread all over the hillside but no sign of the First Gold. I suspect it never got fully established, and probably got dug up by the dog/Fox/Badgers!

If you want any rhizomes let me know - can always drop them off next time I'm over at our kids or mate in 'Royd.

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:43 am

Meatymc wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:33 am

If you want any rhizomes let me know - can always drop them off next time I'm over at our kids or mate in 'Royd.
Thanks Meatymc, normally I would jump at offers like yours and Eric's but illness in the family has meant I'm a bit behind in the garden, and I don't think I'll get time to do anything with them. I might manage to lift some of the sprawling Challenger and move it to the edge of the garden where hopefully it can climb up some of the trees. There's one coppiced ash tree which sadly has die back that might be perfect for hops to climb up.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:10 pm

clarets7 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:43 am
illness in the family has meant I'm a bit behind in the garden,
Sorry to hear that
clarets7 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:43 am
ash tree which sadly has die back that might be perfect for hops to climb up.
We lost a Photinia around 3 years ago but using it for a First Gold in exactly the same way

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:08 pm

I emailed Essentially Hops and A-Plus Hops but both said they can only sell the First Gold and Golden Tassels out of the dwarf hop range. Apparently the others I suggested are all licensed varieties and can only be sold to commercial growers who are members of the British Hop Association. Looks like I'll just have to stick to the First Gold and look after it better.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:02 pm

My garden is showing strong signs of activity and soon my second Bramling Cross will be lifted and replaced with Saaz currently in a pot. Anyone who might think they would like to offer a home for the BX or part of it, just PM me. I'd be pleased if it found a new home, so it will be free of all cost.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

drjim
Piss Artist

Post by drjim » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:21 pm

I wouldn't object to the bramling heading this way. I've currently got two calais golding rhizomes and a centennial. The goldings gave me nothing at all last year, first one appeared dead so they sent a replacement which seemed to stimulate the original to start growing! Centennial gave me 60g, I'm digging a hole in the garden for them this year so hopefully will get better yields.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:53 pm

OK Jim,

I've got a busy week ahead with it being half-term here and grandchildren to look after, then a wedding at the weekend, but I'll be time to explore the ground around the BX and work things out.
It won't be small, so if anyone else chimes in there will be plenty to go around. This plant has been in some unloved ground for possibly 3 years after being taken from my main plant which came to me from Kent. I sent some to Scotland a couple of years since and it did well. This same plant has given me a crop for the last 2 years by growing for 10 feet or so along a fence then up a rope to a chimney. Just dig a decent hole, stick it in and keep watering until you are forced to stand back. They are prone to mildew, but just cut off any such leaves.
Will let you know when it is on its way.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:31 pm

Change of plan, It's on its way.

drjim
Piss Artist

Post by drjim » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:03 pm

The bramling cross is sprouting nicely, as is my centennial and the non productive last year calais goldings have shot out some shoots. I have canes and string so bring it on! They are staying in pots as my soil is horrible clay stuff, plus I'm in garden redesign/layout for brushed mode so pots it is.

I read somewhere to prune lots of the shoots off and just have one stem, but how do you guys do it? Is it better to just let them rip and provide more supports for the shoots as necessary or trim them down to one or two stems? Any thoughts?????

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:42 pm

drjim wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:03 pm
I read somewhere to prune lots of the shoots off and just have one stem, but how do you guys do it? Is it better to just let them rip and provide more supports for the shoots as necessary or trim them down to one or two stems? Any thoughts?????
Leave all the shoots until you have a dozen or so at least 6 inches high then get rid of the first few that came through. These will be noticeably thicker/more vigorous which are referred to as 'bull bines'. They tend to be more brittle - particularly if you're having to 'train' them out of vertical, and the bracts more spaced out which means lower hop yield overall.

I certainly wouldn't restrict to 1 bine - I usually go with 4 or 5.