Dry yeast reuse

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
IPA
Under the Table

Re: Dry yeast reuse

Post by IPA » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:57 pm

john luc wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:30 am
What if it's a bottom fermenting lager yeast
Same rule applies. Because the clean yeast you want to crop is in the fermenting wort. Not among the dead and dying at the bottom or among the debris floating on the top.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:21 pm

IPA wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:57 pm
john luc wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:30 am
What if it's a bottom fermenting lager yeast
Same rule applies. Because the clean yeast you want to crop is in the fermenting wort. Not among the dead and dying at the bottom or among the debris floating on the top.
Are you saying you take a sample of the fermenting wort at this time? If so, I guess you then need to grow it on in a starter?

Or am I missing the point here.

I'd love to see a video showing precisely what you mean :-)
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:34 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:21 pm

Are you saying you take a sample of the fermenting wort at this time? If so, I guess you then need to grow it on in a starter?

Have a look here. Not a video, but as good as!

Guy

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:03 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:34 pm
Cobnut wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:21 pm

Have a look here. Not a video, but as good as!

Guy
Super! And simple as you like :)
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:52 pm

Rather than start a new thread I thought I open up this one again. I notice that some dried yeast like Saflager 34/70 are quite expensive and for some reason are only packaged in 11Gr packs or 500Gr :-k . This means that when planning a Lager you may need at least 3 packs :shock:. So.... when a question is asked on the web about making a starter, most answers are, you don't need a starter with dry yeast. But the actual question is, I want to build up more pitchable cells. I have set up on beersmith3 on the Yeast tab a second listing of this yeast as Liquid. This allows me to work out an exact volume of starter using 1 pack :-k :unsure: What's D'yiz think.
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:05 pm

When Brew Lab was selling slants their instruction page said to load the slant straight into just 500ml of wort to make the starter for a 40 pint brew. The received wisdom would be to step up, finishing at 1000ml minimum.

I assumed they knew their stuff and their yeast was super-healthy. Your yeast should also be in ideal condition and I reckon it you kept it that way by holding the optimum fermenting temperature you might get away with a single pack without a starter?

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:13 am

Here is a tool from Lallemand https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/can ... alculator/
I put in to the calculator 1.058sg and batch 21 liters for their Diamond Lager, temp set for 12C. 24.1Gr needed so 3 packs ask for, expensive that :shock:
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie