can i do this, is it better

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
mark14
Steady Drinker

can i do this, is it better

Post by mark14 » Tue May 26, 2020 3:30 pm

hi all, if i put all yeast from bottles and all trub in vessel ,add some nutrient and sugar and lots of shaking, can i then just harvest yeast from top, and keep going until no more rises, seems easy ? cheers

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: can i do this, is it better

Post by vacant » Tue May 26, 2020 3:48 pm

Quick answer: Yes
  • Many of us take the yeast from dregs of Proper Job or 1845 bottled beer, add to wort and let it grow for a couple of days on a stir plate, or shaking - then pitch
  • When fermenting, collect some yeast from the krausen in a sanitised bottle (250ml or more) on about day 4 of a ferment, keep it in the fridge, pitch in the next brew
  • Or collect some trub at the end, store in a bottle in the fridge until ready
I've done all three, all worked just fine.

Why is this posted in the Tap Room and not in Yeast , eh?
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

mark14
Steady Drinker

Re: can i do this, is it better

Post by mark14 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:19 am

vacant wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:48 pm
Quick answer: Yes
  • Many of us take the yeast from dregs of Proper Job or 1845 bottled beer, add to wort and let it grow for a couple of days on a stir plate, or shaking - then pitch
  • When fermenting, collect some yeast from the krausen in a sanitised bottle (250ml or more) on about day 4 of a ferment, keep it in the fridge, pitch in the next brew
  • Or collect some trub at the end, store in a bottle in the fridge until ready
I've done all three, all worked just fine.

Why is this posted in the Tap Room and not in Yeast , eh?
because i am a fool, just starting out navigation not so good sorry but thank you