WHC Ubbe (Kveik)

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Juffer
Tippler

WHC Ubbe (Kveik)

Post by Juffer » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:45 pm

Has anybody used it?

Description

Clean lager like aroma and taste. Produce lager styles at body temp within days rather than weeks.

Yeast type
Norwegian Ale Yeast.

Lager Attenuation
73-82

Temperature
30-37 deg C

Flocculation
Medium

Beer Style
Lager Styles, clean beer styles

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Re: WHC Ubbe (Kveik)

Post by Northern Brewer » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:45 pm

One assumes that it's ...ahem, "related"... to Bootleg's Oslo, in which case read this thread on HBT.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:49 pm

I have been using this exclusively for about 8 months now.

It is clean AF, and an absolute beast at chewing through wort. You can coax a very interesting orange Ester out of it if you underpitch.

I am finding that the beers can be a little on the tart side , but that might be just the excessive generations in that I have let this get to. Struggling a bit to get malt character to shine through but that could just be me, or an artefact of tartness/over carbing.

I pitch it at 35-40C and it delivers decent pale ales and lagers for me, flocs very well - the medium is a misprint. Can be drinkably bright in 3 days from pitch

Juffer
Tippler

Post by Juffer » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:03 pm

Thank you both for your feedback and sharing your knowledge. I'm looking for a fast turn around with a lager type yeast. It needs to have that lager character and not too sweet.

I have tried California common but i really didn't like it.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:58 pm

I don't want to generalise my experience here (too many other variables in play) but I have found this to attenuate well from first pitch, and it is easy to repitch (but know what you are dealing with when you let the generations go too high).

I am finding it a challenge to bring malt character through with it though, so I doubt you will have a problem with this coming through overly sweet, and I am struggling to balance it with lager styles where you are trying to target a specific malt character. YMMV. There are commercial kveik 'lagers' out there which have succeeded better than me (I think). But its worth an experiment for sure, and my lager styles have wowed at BBQs and functions and the like, and they are produced and turned around fast, with limited lagering time.

Juffer
Tippler

Post by Juffer » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:29 am

You say you are pitching at 35 - 40c, have you tried the lower end of the scale at 30c?

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:16 pm

Juffer wrote:You say you are pitching at 35 - 40c, have you tried the lower end of the scale at 30c?
Yes. Clean as a whistle

brewpete
Piss Artist

Post by brewpete » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:51 pm

What method are you doing to reuse it

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:26 pm

Multiple methods.

The easiest is pitch straight onto the old yeast cake. You will get activity before you have the lid back on, and expect it to hit terminal in 24 hrs or so.

I have a conical, and have drawn off samples into sanitised jars, and kept them in a fridge repitching a few weeks later.

I did try drying some but never had the confidence to use it dried

brewpete
Piss Artist

Post by brewpete » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:45 pm

Have bought a dehydratior with some silicone perforated sheets what fit in it I brew in 180l batches and don't fancy 50 pound a go on yeast each time I brew

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:14 am

brewpete wrote:Have bought a dehydratior with some silicone perforated sheets what fit in it I brew in 180l batches and don't fancy 50 pound a go on yeast each time I brew
Dehydrator would be a good way to go IMO.

You will need to aerate well and add yeast nutrients in good quantities

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:28 am

I have had my first go at drying out (Voss) Kveik yeast slurry.

This was from a beer brewed from the slurry of a previous brew (July last year). I've brewed a few beers from the jar of slurry - and shared some with members of my local HBC - but decided that at almost a year from collection, it was time to dump the remainder and start with a new slurry collection.

I don't have a dehydrator (hmm, perhaps I'll add that the the list?), so dried in the oven at around 40C. It took several hours, but is now stored in a plastic tub in the fridge. Will be interesting to see how it behaves when I try to re-hydrate it.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

brewpete
Piss Artist

Post by brewpete » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:09 am

Have used the dried voss sprinkled straight on top of the wort have also read that the pitching rates are way over the top for what you really need