Wyeast 1469 lag?

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
clarets7
Piss Artist

Re: Wyeast 1469 lag?

Post by clarets7 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:38 am

Well this morning it's about 1013 - 1014, so around 70% attenuation. I was hoping for it to go a bit lower, given that I mashed low and it's all base malt. I'll leave it for a couple of days and then it's going into 'bag in a box' containers to be served through a hand pump.
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:20 pm

It might go down further, might not. I'm usually happy with 1.013/4 for hand-pumped "cask-conditioned" style anyway.

It's in the documented attenuation range, so I wouldn't grumble. You "mashed low", but at 65C. I find it best not to pussy-foot about when changing mash temperatures and if I wanted high attenuation would probably choose to mash at 62-63C. But be careful, it's a trade off - mash high for best flavour, mash low for best attenuation (and perhaps less flavour!). ("High" temperature mash is 69-70C to me; I'll even mash at 74C).

I'm playing with "Hochkurz" mash techniques at moment (decoction alternative). It starts low (63C) for bulk of mash and temperature steps up (69C - for flavour?). Still playing, no conclusions yet.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:27 pm

Well, only managed to get round to getting this into the bag today. 10L+ into a 'bag in the box' and the rest into bottles - was going to put some into a mini cask but forgot... It did drop some more, 1012 so 4.5% which is what I was aiming for. Best thing is the few samples I had from the fermentor were spot on, I've used this yeast twice before and am not sure why I stopped using it. Didn't add any priming sugar, so may have to try this in a few days, hopefully it will be just as good if not better.

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:27 pm

Just tried one of the bottles. Been stored at 13C for 8 days only, decent condition and tasted really good. Degassed a small sample and had dropped 1.5 points even at that temperature. 10L polypin will have to wait for next weekend though as I've not set my hand pump up properly yet.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:19 pm

clarets7 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:27 pm
Just tried one of the bottles. Been stored at 13C for 8 days only, decent condition and tasted really good. Degassed a small sample and had dropped 1.5 points even at that temperature. 10L polypin will have to wait for next weekend though as I've not set my hand pump up properly yet.

That's quite a low temperature for an Ale yeast so it might take a little longer to really come right. In the winter I serve finished Beer at that temperature. I would carbonate at 18-20 then place at cellar temp.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:26 am

It wasn't intentional! I left the door shut in the back room by mistake and it was that cold when I went to get a bottle to try. Opened the door, it normally stays around 17C-18C with just the warmth from the rest of the house.