Tomato Puree Nutrient

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Tomato Puree Nutrient

Post by trucker5774 » Sun May 16, 2021 10:28 am

Anyone used tomato puree as a yeast nutrient? I have heard of it in a wash for distilling, just wondered if anyone has tried it in brewing?
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

alexlark
Under the Table

Re: Tomato Puree Nutrient

Post by alexlark » Tue May 18, 2021 9:18 pm

Did you see that on Moonshiners by any chance?

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Wed May 19, 2021 6:59 am

There is no need, 99% of the time worts contain enough available nitrogen for the yeast.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Wed May 19, 2021 11:00 am

alexlark wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:18 pm
Did you see that on Moonshiners by any chance?
Barley and hop, on You Tube (great channel) amongst others
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed May 19, 2021 6:54 pm

MashBag wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 6:59 am
There is no need, 99% of the time worts contain enough available nitrogen for the yeast.
Nitrogen covers just one of numerous requirements of yeast nutrition. At this rate I'll have to start a charity to lobby against yeast abuse :lol: To be fair, even self-proclaimed nutritionists are biologically ignorant tw*ts. They wouldn't know the biological significance of nutrition if it were flat-packed as two short planks. Even if delivered around the back of the head. If the intention is to repitch yeast (and it should be, imo) consideration of yeast nutritional requirements are a good idea. A 'tin of magic baked beans' won't cover it, I'm afraid. Just buy some ready-made yeast nutrient blended to supplement malted barley wort. It's surprisingly common for home brewers repitching yeast to complain about the effects of yeast nutrient deficiency. Even if they don't actually know it. In their opinion it's 'mutation'. I somehow doubt that. Remember, two short planks.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Wed May 19, 2021 7:51 pm

Absolutely. I always chuck some of this in at the end of the boil.

I re-pitch a few times and, compared to when I didn't use a nutrient, fermentation starts faster and attenuates sooner.

Guy

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Sun May 23, 2021 10:11 am

guypettigrew wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:51 pm

I re-pitch a few times and, compared to when I didn't use a nutrient, fermentation starts faster and attenuates sooner.

Guy
I will definitely be trying some nutrient on the next brew. I normally see fermentation within 6 hours and F.G. is often reached within 2 days (although I leave it longer) I have recently experienced an F.G. of 1012 across various brews, with no change in my process. I'm hoping a nutrient will help the F.G. back towards 1008. The twist is, for years I've been trying to achieve the higher F.G. for a little residual sweetness and mouth feel. Now I see it as something has gone wrong! :lol:
John

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun May 23, 2021 10:21 am

Due anyone use olive oil as a nutrient?

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Sun May 23, 2021 11:12 am

MashBag wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:21 am
Regularly...............but only for salads! :D
John

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun May 23, 2021 12:27 pm

At this rate I'll have to start a charity to lobby against yeast abuse :lol:
:D :D :D

Nothing wrong with a few lentils and a vitamin tablet..........

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun May 23, 2021 6:46 pm

MashBag wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:21 am
Olive oil was proposed as a substitute for oxygen, based on naive assumptions (of yeast metabolism) and hardly any data, other than a poorly designed student project offered up as a dissertation. Closer analysis (independent experimentation) questioned the validity and concluded a significant lag in fermentation made olive oil (instead of O2) inferior for commercial brewers. I’ll add O2 is a toxic molecule that shocks yeast into action. Only a fraction of what dissolves in wort (a 1/3 roughly) gets channelled to heritable membrane lipids. The rest fires up other metabolic networks not irrelevant to fermentation performance. It’s all quite fortunate for us brewers; how yeast cells ‘selfishly’ proliferate to metabolise toxic O2 (protect themselves) in the presence of sugar. If it weren't for that we wouldn't be here :lol:
Last edited by McMullan on Sun May 23, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun May 23, 2021 6:49 pm

trucker5774 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:11 am
guypettigrew wrote:

Guy
I will definitely be trying some nutrient on the next brew. I normally see fermentation within 6 hours and F.G. is often reached within 2 days (although I leave it longer) I have recently experienced an F.G. of 1012 across various brews, with no change in my process. I'm hoping a nutrient will help the F.G. back towards 1008. The twist is, for years I've been trying to achieve the higher F.G. for a little residual sweetness and mouth feel. Now I see it as something has gone wrong! :lol:
What about yeast choice (a reliably low attenuator) and/or mash temperature? The problem with your 'batch effect' is you don't know what's causing it, so you can't control it, unlike yeast choice and mash temps.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:12 pm

McMullan wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:49 pm
trucker5774 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:11 am
guypettigrew wrote:

Guy
What about yeast choice (a reliably low attenuator) and/or mash temperature? The problem with your 'batch effect' is you don't know what's causing it, so you can't control it, unlike yeast choice and mash temps.
I have varied mash temps and tried dozens of yeasts. I only ever change one variant at a time. 8)
John

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue May 25, 2021 7:08 pm

trucker5774 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:12 pm
I only ever change one variant at a time. 8)
That's an acceptable (even a recommended) strategy, but, especially as you seem to be struggling, you could always work backwards, where, if it 'works' for you, when you adjust more than one variable, say, yeast strain and mash temp, you remove one (or even two) and assess what happens. I find it odd that you've struggled to get your more desirable higher FG for years. Do you brew once or twice a year?

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed May 26, 2021 7:38 am

Do we need look at the issue rather that things you have tried.

Does it happen with one recipes or all?