Wyeast 1469 Yorkshire - starter for 65L

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
M3Brewery
Sober

Post by M3Brewery » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:50 pm

Hello Everyone,

This is the first time I'm using a liquid yeast, and would like create a starter from one Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale "smack-pack".
The recipe is a Timothy Taylor Landlord clone for a 65 litre brew length, and 3 yeast packs would be £24 approx.
I've read up on the Wyeast website and other places on making a starter, but still have some questions.

1. Is is possible to make enough yeast for a 65L brew from one Wyeast liquid yeast pack?
2. How many hour before the yeast pitch will I need to make the starter?
3. Is there a "simple" starter calculator available.
4. Has anyone tried this before and do you have a recommended starter recipe & method

Thanks

M3.

PS Brewday is 11 July, yeast pitching at approx 5PM.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:34 pm

M3Brewery wrote:1. Is is possible to make enough yeast for a 65L brew from one Wyeast liquid yeast pack?
2. How many hour before the yeast pitch will I need to make the starter?
3. Is there a "simple" starter calculator available.
4. Has anyone tried this before and do you have a recommended starter recipe & method

Thanks

M3.

PS Brewday is 11 July, yeast pitching at approx 5PM.
1 - Yes.
2 - It depends on how many stages or splits you need. Do you have any vessels that you can make a starter in or will you rely on eg a 5L bottled water bottle?

It might be worth answering 2 before speaking about the rest.
You still have time to make it though. Do you have the manufacturing or best before date of the yeast?
By the way great choice of yeast, it’s one of my favourites.

M3Brewery
Sober

Re: Wyeast 1469 Yorkshire - starter for 65L

Post by M3Brewery » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:48 pm

We have various size flasks for 2. and a spin plate so options available.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:54 pm

M3Brewery wrote:We have various size flasks for 2. and a spin plate so options available.
? 2L size or bigger? Bear in mind that starters, especially those of Yorkshire square yeasts tend to climb out of flasks so you really want oversize ones.
What’s the manufacture/BB date, without this you cannot make any kind of reasonable estimate on the cell count. There are better methods to get really healthy starters that will go gangbusters by starting really small with a part of your yeast pack but you are probably past that point now.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:01 pm

1. Yes
2. Several days at least
3. No
4. Yes

The best bet for your predicament is to cancel your brewing plans. The second best bet is to assume there’s sufficient yeast viability to knock out a 2L starter within about 48-72 hours. (Use a 5L vessel.) Then pitch that into a 10L batch of brewing wort, your TTL recipe, in your main FV a few days before the 11th. Then rack your main batch on top of this on the 11th. Hopefully you’ve got a decent size FV. If the current yeast viability is sufficient and the yeast are in good shape you should be good to pitch on the 11th, if you get a starter going tomorrow. If the 2L starter takes more than 48-72 hours to show clear signs of activity, you’ll probably better off postponing the 11th. Although you could pitch dried yeast instead, you won’t find a substitute for WY1469.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:43 am

Warning this yeast is a bit of a beast and will try to escape from your FV.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:05 am

The advice given for sufficient headspace should be recognised not only for your starters, but also for the main fermentation.

My current 50 litre brew has a proper top fermenting yeast pitched on Monday evening into a 100 litre FV. The lid was fitted for the first night and removed first thing yesterday morning to avoid the chance of the yeast lifting it. This morning the fermentation had peaked, when the lid was refitted while fermentation subsides.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.