Two Yeasts For Old Perculier?

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Two Yeasts For Old Perculier?

Post by Doreblade » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:32 pm

I'm planning GW's BYOBRA Old Perculier recipe next and was thinking of using Mangrove Jacks M15 Empire yeast for it.

However many online reports suggest it doesn't attenuate very well so was thinking of pitching a packet of Wilko Gervin (I understand its Nottingham in reality) a couple of days after pitching the M15...does that sound a reasonable plan?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Two Yeasts For Old Perculier?

Post by Dennis King » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:56 pm

Brewed this several times but I used liquid yeast's

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:32 pm

Doreblade wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:32 pm
... However many online reports suggest it doesn't attenuate very well so was thinking of pitching a packet of Wilko Gervin (I understand its Nottingham in reality) a couple of days after pitching the M15...does that sound a reasonable plan?
No ... it doesn't sound like a reasonable plan!

Why'd you want more attenuation? Even the recipe says FG 1.015 which I think you'll find difficult with most yeasts, the choice of M15 appears good as it is (I've never used M15, but may have used dried Windsor or S-33). Most yeasts will sail past 1.015. OP is meant to be heavy and lush, not thin and fizzy. But if bottling don't do it too early (give it a few weeks in secondary fermenter). It is not some sort of wishy-washy New-World "craft" beer, don't treat it as such.

At least you've picked a recipe that doesn't use "treacle" or "molasses" - I don't know where that wide-spread idea came from? I added molasses for years (decades!) before realising what a diabolical mistake it was.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:52 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Doreblade wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:32 pm
... However many online reports suggest it doesn't attenuate very well so was thinking of pitching a packet of Wilko Gervin (I understand its Nottingham in reality) a couple of days after pitching the M15...does that sound a reasonable plan?
No ... it doesn't sound like a reasonable plan!

Why'd you want more attenuation? Even the recipe says FG 1.015 which I think you'll find difficult with most yeasts, the choice of M15 appears good as it is (I've never used M15, but may have used dried Windsor or S-33). Most yeasts will sail past 1.015. OP is meant to be heavy and lush, not thin and fizzy. But if bottling don't do it too early (give it a few weeks in secondary fermenter). It is not some sort of wishy-washy New-World "craft" beer, don't treat it as such.

At least you've picked a recipe that doesn't use "treacle" or "molasses" - I don't know where that wide-spread idea came from? I added molasses for years (decades!) before realising what a diabolical mistake it was.
Good sensible advice there Peebee. Will be in a pressure barrel eventually but will give it plenty of time in the FV and PB before quaffing - and it will see absolutely no molasses, black treacle or other such adjuncts.

Have had many a pint of the cask stuff in the past and looking for clone nearer to that rather than the bottled stuff.

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:00 am

Just updating. Kicked the last of it a couple of weeks ago.

Although only got OG 1.057 (aiming for 1.059) and FG was only 1.019 (1.015) even with all the coaxing I could it still turned out rather fantastic even though at a lower 5%abv.

Taste, aroma and feel spot on with all the lovely flavours there. Comparison against genuine bottled stuff, my brew was pretty well matched, and in taste tests by pals all preferred my version which rather pleased me.

Bit of work to do on dialling in, accurate measuring etc but I'm getting better, but all in all M15 was not a bad choice for this recipe after all.