Kveik No1

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Re: Kveik No1

Post by bitter_dave » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:47 pm

What was the gravity at bottling out of interest?

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:56 pm

MashBag wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:19 pm
https://www.crossmyloofbrew.co.uk/yeast-specs

What good reading.

I fancy a few on there, and TBH 23c is the max I have had to deal with. Flocculation is important to me. It sticks the yeast to the bottom of the bottle and makes fire a clean beer and a good pour.
Yeast on the bottom of the bottle!
I have now perfected a method of brewing where there is no visible yeast in the bottle and the entire contents can be poured into the glass and the beer is crystal clear. If anyone wants to know how I am willing to share the knowledge.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:04 pm

Yes please.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:04 pm

Agreed, please share. Most of my beers have rather too much yeast in the bottle. Often not stuck very well to the bottom of the bottle. Otherwise, they are generally very good. Sometimes medal winning.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:37 am

I reckon all IPA will say is complete flocculation 😁

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:50 pm

Well for those who are interested this is how I do it.
For the record I brew with a Braumeister fitted with a BacBrewing Springer but the method will work with any all grain brewing equipment and I chill with a plate chiller fitted with a Blichmann Thrumometer

Have your water analysed. Neil (Wallybrew) on this forum provides any excellent service.
Adjust your water using Graham's water treatment calculator also on this forum.
Mash for 90 minutes
Boil for 90 minutes
For a brewlength of 23 litres. 15 minutes before the end of the boil add 1/2 of a crushed Protofloc tablet and 4 grammes of Brewbrite mixed with a little cold water until it looks like thin soup.
The times of fermentation following will obviously depend on the OG
Approximately seven days of fermentation transfer to a second FV and leave for another four days. Then add three sheets of gelatine disolved in hot water. The gelatine must be softened in cold water first and then drained before adding the hot water!
Three days later transfer to a to a third vessel and add the priming sugar. For an English Bitter use two grammes of white sugar per litre disolved in boiling water and stir gently into the beer to ensure even mixing.
Then bottle or keg. At the same time fill a 500ml PET bottle so that you you can check carbonation progress by squeezing it.
The resulting beer will pour crystal clear from the bottle even if you up-end it and will chill with no haze.
I think the addition of Brewbrite in the boiler is one big factor in this process.

Cheers Ian

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:19 pm

Ian, Is Brewbrite the same as Auxiliary finings?
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:19 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:19 pm
From memory it's polyclar. Different again.

Never researched if it replaced protofloc (Irish moss) or not. I use saf-ale for most of my stuff, because of its "stick"

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:23 am

Cobnut wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:19 pm
Brewbrite is available from the MaltMiller. As you can see from my proceedure outlined above I use three types of auxiliary finings. BrewBrite,Protofloc and Gelatine.
I strongly recommend you try try this proceedure. You will be amazed with the result.

Alone we travel faster

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:18 am

This had made me think.

How have you got to this 'recipe' ? It might look like you are throwing everything at it?

Reason I ask, is that I was taught & firmly believe filtering and fining takes something away (flavour or aroma compounds) so I try to strike a balance by doing the absolute minimum.

I also like gravity and time. That, and good flocculating yeasts have proved enough for me. But could I do better? I certainly have not reviewed my fining process and I will now. Thank you.

Ps aware we are very off topic. Let's carry this on on the new thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83746

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:33 am

MashBag wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:46 am
First taste at day 7 going into bottles.

Bittering more pronounced, beer a bit thin. Earthy and rough around the edges. This is just a little unsophisticated at the moment (and flat).
I think it will mature out.

Flocculation good.
Very Different fermentation gunk.
Sort of want I expected. 25c fermentation blurs the flavour. No obvious faults just dull.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun May 08, 2022 9:37 pm

After a little time it is a bit better.

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:21 pm

MashBag wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 9:37 pm
After a little time it is a bit better.