WLP500 Monastery

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
cc986
Steady Drinker

WLP500 Monastery

Post by cc986 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:33 pm

I've got a packet of WLP500 that will go out of date in about a month or so but I already have a lot of dark Belgian beer conditioning so I was thinking of using it for something a bit different like a strong, dark English old ale or barley wine. Has anyone used a Belgian yeast with a beer like that? I think a lot of the ingredients wouldn't be too dissimilar to a Belgian dubbel so it might work but would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done something similar.
Thanks,
Chris

JonB
Steady Drinker

Re: WLP500 Monastery

Post by JonB » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:02 pm

It will probably have quite a noticeable Belgian character and is unlikely to be recognisable as an Old Ale.

However that sounds like what the great Bob Ross would have referred to as a "Happy Accident."

On a related note, the other year I had a Wyeast smack pack fail on me when pitched. When the replacement turned up I found a small krausen on it and a potent Belgian character. This was a traditional bitter, but came out as a one-dimensional Belgian ale with a flaccid malt character. It turns out some Westmalle yeast from the last brew somehow survived and inoculated the Bitter wort when the desired yeast was DOA...

cc986
Steady Drinker

Post by cc986 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:01 am

Thanks JonB. Yeah I think I will just do another dark Belgian - you can never have enough I think!

nickjdavis
Steady Drinker

Post by nickjdavis » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:48 am

Brew yourself a stout...imperial even....and throw the Belgian yeast at it. Ferment at 19-20 to keep the esters in check....you might just create something wonderful.