Re-using yeast: floculation issue

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
JonB
Steady Drinker

Re: Re-using yeast: floculation issue

Post by JonB » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:28 am

Good to know,
IPA wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:58 am
I doubt that you will achieve the clarity I spoke about without using gelatine. The gelatine does not remain in the finished beer as it is firmly stuck to the bottom of the second FV along with the unwanted yeast. A much better idea is to not offer your beer to vegans. Brew two batches one using gelatine and the other without and show the vegans the visible difference.
Yeah I'm not doing that. I have no intention of opening the Vegan-Bashing door, but to me that is unnecessary and exclusionary. My beers do not need gelatine fining; whether or not the gelatine remains in the beer or not doesn't matter, its inclusion in the manufacturing process makes the beer non-vegan friendly.

With the West Yorkshire yeast my beers are coming out almost as clear as some commercial beers, and they are more than clear enough for me. Any residual clarity issues will more than likely be due to hop oils (the less clear ones for me tend to be those with higher hopping rates). The issue I am having is the yeast is no longer behaving correctly and is jumping back into suspension mid-pour, not getting the beer bright in the first plates.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:48 pm

Jon B
My beers do not need gelatine fining
. The issue I am having is the yeast is no longer behaving correctly and is jumping back into suspension mid-pour,

IPA
They do if only to prevent the deposited yeast entering the glass. Which seems to be your problem.If it's not there it cannot be disturbed.

Jon B
whether or not the gelatine remains in the beer or not doesn't matter, its inclusion in the manufacturing process makes the beer non-vegan friendly.

IPA
That's a bit like saying "I wont drink water because fishes have swum in it"
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

JonB
Steady Drinker

Post by JonB » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:15 pm

IPA wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:48 pm
Jon B
My beers do not need gelatine fining
. The issue I am having is the yeast is no longer behaving correctly and is jumping back into suspension mid-pour,

IPA
They do if only to prevent the deposited yeast entering the glass. Which seems to be your problem.If it's not there it cannot be disturbed.
My problem is that the yeast used to remain the bottom of the bottle, and isn't doing so now. I agree that less sediment will help, but the problem started when the yeast changed its behaviour and this is what I was looking for help with.
IPA wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:48 pm
Jon B
whether or not the gelatine remains in the beer or not doesn't matter, its inclusion in the manufacturing process makes the beer non-vegan friendly.

IPA
That's a bit like saying "I wont drink water because fishes have swum in it"
I've taken advice on what qualifies a beer as "Vegan friendly" from vegans. My understanding from these conversations is Animal products used in the manufacturing process go against the philosophy of veganism, even if they don't end up being consumed as part of the final product. You've still got to slaughter the cow to get the gelatine you're using to clear it...

https://tofubud.com/blogs/tips/is-beer-vegan

I did used to fine by beer with Isinglass about 5-6 years ago, but I stopped using it as it was an utter pig to get it to dissolve and even when it did I never noticed any tangible impact on the beer clarity or sediment content of the bottles.

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:14 pm

From what I have read bottom cropping yeast is not as good as top cropping, the yeast can be stressed and be more likely to deviate from the original characteristics. It sounds like your yeast has just lost a bit of flocculation, could you not try top cropping which would favour the more flocculent yeast cells? Might take a few brews to have any effect but it doesn't sound as if it's a major problem, especially if you follows IPA's guidelines as well.
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by MarkA » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:38 pm

JonB wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:28 am
My beers do not need gelatine fining; whether or not the gelatine remains in the beer or not doesn't matter, its inclusion in the manufacturing process makes the beer non-vegan friendly.
Spot on, JonB.

My beers are always clear, and I can pour the entire bottle into a glass without any yeast or haze and with only the tiniest smudge of yeast left stuck to the bottom of the bottle with just 3 extra steps - water treatment, Irish Moss and time.