All Grain Yeast Starter

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
ARNWD
Tippler

All Grain Yeast Starter

Post by ARNWD » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:53 am

Hi all,

I need to make a starter for out of date Wyeast packets. I don't have any DME but do have a lot of Maris Otter (50+ kg).

Has anybody got any tips, advice on making a 2 litre starter from malt. Weight of grain, liquor amount anything else you can think of. I shall be most grateful.

IPA
Under the Table

Re: All Grain Yeast Starter

Post by IPA » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:07 am

In the past I used to do a 10 litre mash with pale malt with a gravity of 1042. Then I stored it in 1.25 litre plastic water bottles in the freezer until needed. Then I took one out and let it defrost before boiling and adding the yeast.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

ARNWD
Tippler

Re: All Grain Yeast Starter

Post by ARNWD » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:52 pm

Thanks IPA,

That is actually a good idea that I had not thought about doing. I don't like the idea of mashing then boiling for a final wort volume of 1 litre as I have just done this evening. It's taken hours and I won't be pitching the yeast until tomorrow.

I for some considerable time (4-5 years) I have wanted to start a yeast bank with frozen yeast as per https://suigenerisbrewing.com/index.php ... ing-yeast/. When last week I saw online out of date Wyeast at only £3.60 a packet plus a small delivery fee it has finally got me motivated to start. So I am going to be needing lots starters so will probably do something similar.

Thinking about it, I could brew a double strength wort place into 500ml bottles to save space then liquor back when I make up the starter.

Thanks for the advice.