lidl red wine

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
StevieB

Re: lidl red wine

Post by StevieB » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:47 pm

Laripu wrote: Suited for hand-to-hand combat?
:lol: :lol:
Somehow they're still relevant!
Ah... That's the Lidl White: "Another good fighting wine is Lidl Old-and-Yellow, which is particularly heavy and should be used only for hand-to-hand combat." :D

eeyores61

Post by eeyores61 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:23 pm

Just bought hubby this for our anniversary

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/6534016/ ... oduct.html

(hope I'm allowed to post this link)

Or have i got the wrong end of the (pointed) stick?

StevieB

Post by StevieB » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:48 pm

eeyores61 wrote:(hope I'm allowed to post this link)

Or have i got the wrong end of the (pointed) stick?
I think it's fine so long as there's no pineapple.

minimilo

Post by minimilo » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:34 pm

dewsfamily wrote:Lidl Red Wine Recipe

4x 1 litre cartons lidl red grape juice
1lb sugar
2 tsp citric acid
1 tsp nutrient
1/2 tsp tannin
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp yeast (i use youngs high alcohol)

1lb of sugar makes a sweet red but i do change my levels have gone down to 8oz sugar but this makes a very dry red,i've got 2 demi johns on the go now 1 with 10oz in and 1 with 12oz

Have a go hope you enjoy it for what it costs its a nice drink and lidl have just dropped the price to 78p a carton
=D> =D> =D>
Hi, I have just bought four litres of Aldi white grape juice (85p/litre) to make a white wine using the recipe as above. Me and Missus both like a medium white wine. With that in mind how much sugar should I add?, should not bother with the tannin? and should I reduce the citric acid?

Cheers

StevieB

Post by StevieB » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:22 pm

My plan for the next batch of retail grape juice red, based on my last 5 gallon batch, is:

23l red grape juice
2Kg Granulated sugar
3tsp Bentonite
NO CITRIC ACID
3tsp Pectolase
1 sachet Champagne yeast
Yeast nutrient

Hopefully this will make it immediately drinkable!

I have found that my previous recipe matured fairly quickly into something better than paint stripper ;) but since brews don't hang around very long with four of us drinking it, I prefer to brew batches of budget stuff that can be drunk early to keep thirsty mitts off the good stuff :)

Hope this helps!

Steve

peppe49

Post by peppe49 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:25 pm

Hi, just been out and bought the grape juice to make this.

Never made this before, could someone please tell me what order the ingredients go in, and also do I need to activate the yeast before I put it in (I have the young's super wine yeast compound). If so, what do I activate it with?

Thanks.

Alison

StevieB

Post by StevieB » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:12 pm

peppe49 wrote:Hi, just been out and bought the grape juice to make this.

Never made this before, could someone please tell me what order the ingredients go in, and also do I need to activate the yeast before I put it in (I have the young's super wine yeast compound). If so, what do I activate it with?

Thanks.

Alison
If you're following my recipe above, warm 4 litres of the grape juice to 40C in a saucepan and dissolve the sugar in it. Pour the remaining 19 litres of the juice to the fermenter and add the 4 litres of juice/sugar mix. Stir for 2 minutes and take the original gravity at this point if you're interested in accurately measuring the alcohol content.

Add the nutrient, bentonite and pectolaise by sprinkling on the surface while stirring and continue to stir for 3 minutes.

The resulting temperature should be around 25C at this time of year so just sprinkle the yeast on the surface, cover and ferment.

Good luck,

Steve.

ECW

Post by ECW » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:38 am

We don't have Lidl in the US, but they do sell grape juice in large containers. I'm too tight to buy more fermenters, so I bodged one, inmate style.

Starting with this:
08.jpg
08.jpg (57.76 KiB) Viewed 7853 times
Bodged a hole in the lid to make this:
09.jpg
09.jpg (58.49 KiB) Viewed 7852 times
Adjusted the ingredients pro rata for about 2.5 litres of juice and 7.5 oz sugar and got:
10.jpg
10.jpg (46.73 KiB) Viewed 7849 times
And I only have a week or so to wait. :=P I'm going to decant it into a 3 litre wine bag (I really am that cheap :wink: ) so hopefully it'll keep and can be sampled as it matures.

Thanks to all the previous posters for their advice and especially to dewsfamily for the recipe. =D>

peppe49

Post by peppe49 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:51 am

Hi Steve, thanks for getting back to me.

I was twitching that much yesterday afternoon, I decided to take the plung and "go it alone".

I did heat up 1/2 l of grape juice and dissolve sugar in and added that, along with the rest of the juice, into a demijohn and then added all the other ingredients in the order of the list.

I was made up, when approx. 1hr later the airlock was bubbling away, and still is this morning.

One more question, when the airlock has stopped bubbling, do I then need to add a campden tablet to stop the fermentation process, before bottling.

Thanks.

Alison.

StevieB

Post by StevieB » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:00 pm

peppe49 wrote: One more question, when the airlock has stopped bubbling, do I then need to add a campden tablet to stop the fermentation process, before bottling.
You could, but I'd recommend racking it off into another demijohn and leaving it in secondary for a couple of weeks. For wine, the point of secondary fermentation isn't really about the fermentation at all, it converts malic acid into lactic acid (it softens the wine).

After secondary you can add sodium or potassium metabisulphate to stabilise the wine while you de-gas it before fining.

Hope this helps!

Steve

moobli

Post by moobli » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:47 pm

ive just had a bash at making some of this lidl wine with 2l of red grape and 2l of cranberry and raspberry
didnt have any citric acid so i squeezed a tangerine into the mixture
also upped the yeast to 2tsp,had nothing after 12hrs but after 24 got some formation and fizzing going on
going to leave it til it plips at 1 a min, re rack for two weeks,see what its like then may kwick clear or just bottle and leave ,this may be bottled for a takealong to one of my dads dinner nights hic hic

peppe49

Post by peppe49 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:09 am

StevieB wrote:
peppe49 wrote:
After secondary you can add sodium or potassium metabisulphate to stabilise the wine while you de-gas it before fining.

Steve
Hi Steve, what sort of quantity of sodium or potassium metabisulphate would you put into a 1 gallon demijohn?

Thanks.

StevieB

Post by StevieB » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:00 pm

peppe49 wrote: Hi Steve, what sort of quantity of sodium or potassium metabisulphate would you put into a 1 gallon demijohn?
Thanks.

It should tell you on the tub... Prolly 500mg

Steve

peppe49

Post by peppe49 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:14 pm

StevieB wrote:
peppe49 wrote: Hi Steve, what sort of quantity of sodium or potassium metabisulphate would you put into a 1 gallon demijohn?
Thanks.

It should tell you on the tub... Prolly 500mg

Steve

Sorry, should have thought of that myself.

Thanks.

moobli

Post by moobli » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:37 pm

well my first attempt at this wine was superb
took two bottles to a party and there was a queue to try it and drink it
it was so good that i have another 2 batches on the go
one with 2l of red grape and 2l of cranberry
the other has 2l of red grape and 2 lof white grape
and i used a wine yeast this time
going to let this one ferment out and rerack clear it and bottle and try to leave it alone for a bit longer than 3 weeks
worked it out cost wise and it was about 56 p a bottle