Squash Cider

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
LegTaste

Squash Cider

Post by LegTaste » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Has anyone tried making cider from apple squash?

The supermarkets have quite a selection, and the low sugar versions should leave enough sweetness (from the sweeteners) without having to worry about bottling early.

All these fruit ciders at the moment obviously use sweeteners and flavourings, probably wouldn't be far off using something like this

£1.53 and enough to make 15 litres.

I'm not going to be brewing any beer until i can get a decent boiler so i might as well experiment a bit.

LegTaste

Re: Squash Cider

Post by LegTaste » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:48 pm

Went for 1.5l tescos apple squash, 750ml bottle of apple & blackcurrant, both are double concentrated and no added sugar. chucked in 2.5KG of sugar, topped up to about 23 litres.

Used danstar nottingham as that was what i had, will this ferment dry? If not i should have a pack of cider yeast by the end of the week, so i can chuck it in if it doesn't go too well.

Forgot to add the yeast nutrient so it smelt of fart this morning without much action, its slowing getting there now though.

Also i boiled the squash before diluting it in an attempt to drive off those preservatives, hopefully it worked.

Should be looking at a 6.5% cider when its finished. I've got a good feeling about this one, I'm pretty sure it will be more palatable than pure apple juice fermented dry, i can never get myself to drink it.

I think it totaled less than £4 with 500g of sugar left over, so potentially 23 litres of 8% cider for those that like it strong, not bad at all.

LegTaste

Post by LegTaste » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:38 pm

Fermenting away still, although quite slowly, strong sulfur smell still.

Down to 1.012, currently just tastes of very sweet squash, i think its probably around 3.6% at the moment.

I was going to chuck in an pack of cider yeast to give it a boost (not much point now), but it appears to have been lost in the post, and the ebay seller (home-brew-online-shop) isn't going to send out another until he can confirm it lost, for a £1.37 item! He suggested that it could have been due to a failed delivery and they forgot to leave a card, for an envelope? i doubt he put it in a box, i'm guessing i got a generic response. Just a bit of info there for anyone who decides to purchase from them.

Gordonmull

Post by Gordonmull » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Don't take that crap from them. They have a legal duty to replace your item if you bought it online. Plus, what's to say they didn't just take your cash and didn't send it. Phone trading standards on them. See how they like the regulator for the sake of the quid-odd that they might have robbed from you.

LegTaste

Post by LegTaste » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:38 am

I'll be opening a paypal claim anyway, but its never quick, if they don't send me a replacement by the 25th. Plus i think paypal make you wait a certain period before i can file the claim, to give sellers time to resolve the issue i think. By then it should go through.

jason123

Post by jason123 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:29 am

Legtaste, Unless they sent it recorded, which is very unlikely, they will not be able to prove it is lost. RM state that it must be in the system for 15 days before they regard it as lost. If you can, wait the 15 days, tell them it still hasn't turned up and see what they say. If they still give any BS, take them to the paypal cleaners.

This is very similar to goings on in this post, might be worth having a read through and comparing notes

credit crunch cider

Shadowknight
Piss Artist

Post by Shadowknight » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:34 am

Shame that ruined a great experiment.
Needs more Cowbell.

Scott-ayling

Post by Scott-ayling » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:36 pm

Did you or has anyone else got round to trying this if not i might give it a wee go but would rather here other peoples experiences or views first

Thanks scott

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:37 pm

LegTaste wrote: I was going to chuck in an pack of cider yeast to give it a boost
Probably wouldn't get going, having to fight an active colony of your ale yeast.
If you waited until the ale yeast was done and added a good starter, it might, but there wouldn't be any sugar left anyway

zerodivine

Post by zerodivine » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:45 am

Well. I have to say great experiment. I don't have a vessel big enough for 23 litres but i am going down to tesco to get there cheaper brand black current squash. Ribena fake. 1.59 a bottle and make a test batch of 1 gallon :)
Wilkinsons is on the way so will use there universal wine yeast, and boil the living cra# out of the squash.
Drinking my aged 1 day tc called it virgin's crowbar.
So sorry if it's not understandable.
Good idea tho

zerodivine

Post by zerodivine » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:57 am

:D well went to tesco to get fake ribena but turns out they had the real thing on offer! Sugar free stuff so going to try that to make a sweet black current wine! Or cider if i can get a good high juice 50% one :)

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:12 pm

Did anyone have any good results with this?
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:52 pm

LegTaste wrote:I'll be opening a paypal claim anyway, but its never quick, if they don't send me a replacement by the 25th. Plus i think paypal make you wait a certain period before i can file the claim, to give sellers time to resolve the issue i think. By then it should go through.
Home brew online are fantastic. Give them a ring mate. I've never had a problem. They will refund and replace anything. Excellent customer service.
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

afur130173

Post by afur130173 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:52 pm

These squash drinks are my new favourite ripple. Cash is kind of tight and i can make a 23l batch for under a five, whereas beer will cost almost triple that.

I also really like the flavours though i am using the cheapest ingredients available.

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:50 pm

How are you making yours?
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719