grape juice wine???

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
craggy

grape juice wine???

Post by craggy » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:42 pm

i noticed when i was getting some apple juice that lidl sell grape juice so i was wondering.... could i make a wine the same way i make turbo cider? how much sugar should i add?
cheers

bod

Post by bod » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:54 pm

mmmmm, turbo wine! :lol:

TELEDU

Post by TELEDU » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:28 pm

QUOTE (bod @ Jun 18 2006, 12:54 PM) mmmmm, turbo wine! :lol:
i think you may be on too something here, just use the same recipe as TC but use grape juice, will you try it as an experiment?

craggy

Post by craggy » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:28 pm

im gonna try it but whats the difference between a still cider and a wine?

TELEDU

Post by TELEDU » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:51 pm

QUOTE (craggy @ Jun 18 2006, 04:28 PM) im gonna try it but whats the difference between a still cider and a wine?
uh.. there probably is, but if you follow the same recipe as TC you should still come out with TGW (Turbo Grape Wine :D ). try it and see what happens.

craggy

Post by craggy » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:43 pm

i will....... :beer

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:07 pm

I'd never claim to be a wine expert but isn't apple wine called a perry? Make it sparkly and you've got babysham! :huh:

If that's true, the only difference between cider and perry is the strength - a bit like beer vs barley wine maybe??

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:11 pm

A perry is made from pear juice B)

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:17 pm

QUOTE (andy @ Jun 18 2006, 08:11 PM) A perry is made from pear juice B)
Ah, b*gger.

Good job I prefixed that with 'I'm no expert but...' :lol: :lol:

Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Post by Reg » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:01 pm

QUOTE (craggy @ Jun 18 2006, 12:42 PM) i noticed when i was getting some apple juice that lidl sell grape juice so i was wondering.... could i make a wine the same way i make turbo cider? how much sugar should i add?
cheers
You can use grape juice to make wine, for sure. The juice is made from eating varieties of grape so won't be as high in tannin as wine made from wine grapes. However I have done this many times. Rather than getting the heavy berry flavours of wine grapes you get a lighter flavour, but it's still quite pleasant.

Mixing red and white juices and making a rose is perhaps the easieat way to get a result close to commercial wines as many modern roses use sweeter grapes in any case.

:D

Reg

fizzypop boy

Post by fizzypop boy » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:32 am

Craggy be very careful with your grape turbo wine experiment,it could be the undoing of your senses for several hours :unsure: just look at my past er hum experiment with tc as posted. :out :out :stun

craggy

Post by craggy » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:51 am

you and me both ...im still on crutches!!!!

deadlydes

Post by deadlydes » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:41 am

yes of course.
you will need to bring the sg up to 1.085-1.090 (usually around 1.5lbsugar)
you can make endless varieties of wine using different juices available eg 3 cartons red grape + 2 blackcurrent or 2 pomegranet. or 3 cartons white grape + 2 peach or 2 kiwi (i have saw these) you get the idea the combinations are endless
get turboing!

craggy

Post by craggy » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:59 am

so basically i just add more sugar?
i got a hydrometer but its a beer one, these are different from wine ones arent they?
i never use a hydrometer normally so how would i check the sg?

deadlydes

Post by deadlydes » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:39 pm

craggy:
yes basically add more sugar. some tannin, nutrient and pectic enzyme wouldnt go a miss either but its not essential.

a beer hydrometer: depends what the range is. if it goes upto 1.090 then yes its fine.

taking a reading: all you do is plonk the hydro into some of the liquid and see where it floats (if you are going to keep the sample remember to sterilise everything)