grape juice wine???

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
craggy

Post by craggy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:47 pm

just made up 4 litres of red grape juice and 500gram of sugar, chucked the yeast in and ill see how it goes.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:44 pm

cool - keep us posted.

bod

Post by bod » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:26 am

what sort of yeast did you use?

Road Runner

Post by Road Runner » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:36 am

QUOTE (deadlydes @ Jun 20 2006, 10:41 AM) you can make endless varieties of wine using different juices available eg 3 cartons red grape + 2 blackcurrent or 2 pomegranet. or 3 cartons white grape + 2 peach or 2 kiwi (i have saw these) you get the idea the combinations are endless
get turboing!
I've never tried this, but have heard that making wine from just straight grape juice will give a quite bland flavour.

As deadlydes says, mixing it with other combinations of fruit is supposed to give a fuller more rounded flavour I believe.

craggy

Post by craggy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:44 am

i used champaigne yeast,

once this one is done ill experiment.

just checked and its going well

craggy

Post by craggy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:51 pm

just bottled it had a swig and it tastes like a port....
will leave it for a bit and see what happens.

Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Post by Reg » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:38 pm

The Champagne yeast has a high tolerance for alcohol, unless you filtered it I sense a fizzy red on the horizon... :D

craggy

Post by craggy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:59 pm

it is a bit fizzy but tastes good. the missis has had3 small glasses and gone to bed.......

Steeev

Post by Steeev » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:57 pm

Well guys n gals, my turbo grape and ribena concoction has just hit the bottles.
It was only a prod in the direction of wine, as I fell short on the sugar front, using only 160g glucose, 3 litres of red grape juice and 1 3/4 litres of Ribena (ready made!)
I also used "ghetto yeast" - Young's Super Wine Compound, from Wilkinsons.
I put it in a secondary 5L water bottle, to semi-clear - I wanted to see what difference there was between bottle conditioned and plain, clear flat.
I siphoned the first clear pint into the glass that sits before me now, and the cloudier brew has a tsp/litre of glucose.
I'm pleasantly surprised! Not as good as wine, obviously, and probably hovering around the 6-7% mark, but it has the pretentions of a wine taste. It just lacks the meat and two veg.

I think I'll definitely have another go, but probably treble the amount of sugar.

I might even shell out on some decent yeast!

Steeev

Post by Steeev » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:59 pm

QUOTE (Reg @ Jul 3 2006, 08:38 PM) The Champagne yeast has a high tolerance for alcohol, unless you filtered it I sense a fizzy red on the horizon... :D
Reg, is there a fairly cheap way to filter the yeast from a batch?
I guess you could use filter paper cones, but that would be a bit messy.

deadlydes

Post by deadlydes » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:07 am

that 'Ghetto yeast' as you all it is really good. i use it for 95% of my wines.

i have done 3 test brews by making up 2 gallons of wine must (different fruits every time) then splitting it between 2 demi's. i fermented them at the same time, temp etc the only difference was i used a burgendy yeast for one and a champagne for the other and when tasteing there was very very little difference (in any of the 3) so wouldnt get hung up on yeasts.

i intend to do a similar thing with some wort split into demi's

next time make sure you start the wine at SH: 1.085-1.090

as for filtering wine i have never bothered. once stabilised, use 2 part fineings. they will make the wine clear in 2 days then just syphon off the sediment

Steeev

Post by Steeev » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:44 am

Cheers deadlydes!
That's a result then. I've got enough for a few more gallons with that yeast then. And it only costs about £1.70!

btw, what are 2 part finings? And do I just add them to my 5 litre vessel and gently stir?

Cheers.

deadlydes

Post by deadlydes » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:59 am

steev
http://www.easybrew.co.uk/product_detai ... 6a7dd8e7a4

2 part fineings. what you do is put in part 1, shake and leave for 30mins then add part b shake then put somewhere cool to clear. i always add the full 2ml of each

make sure after you ferment you syphon off the lees b4 stabilising (with campdon and potassium sorbate), degassing (shake and release pressure a few times over 24 hrs and then subsequent fineing

Steeev

Post by Steeev » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:39 am

Thanks for the link.

I've not done any of the steps you've suggested, i.e. proper wine making techniques.
I basically made turbo grape juice, no stabilising or degassing.
Does this mean the bottles I've got will have a short shelf life/end up vinegar?
Also I guess shaking won't have the same effect as it has on beer, i.e. oxidisation.

Cheers.

deadlydes

Post by deadlydes » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:03 pm

steev
you 'wine' should be ok still for around 3-4 months since it will have alcohol in it, a bit stronger than beer by the looks of your recipe.

shaking the wine in the degassing stage is fine. there is so much co2 around that the oxygen doesnt get a look in