Orange

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Big oiler Jim
Tippler

Orange

Post by Big oiler Jim » Fri May 04, 2018 11:38 pm

Hello there
I am interested in making a brew from 1 liter cartons of supermarket orange juice. I also have hear with me a pot of powdered yeast for baking; would this do the job or not? and what would be the best recommendation for a yeast best fit for orange?

I am just wondering how long this should take to brew and what you think the best temperature would be

Also I am wondering if I pop a small amount of yeast in each carton that should do the trick and save time and hot water washing and sterilizing everything

Thanks
BOJ

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Orange

Post by Haydnexport » Sat May 05, 2018 8:48 am

I'm pretty sure that orange juice is'nt a popular home brew source because the resulting 'beer' will be too acidic

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Sat May 05, 2018 9:54 am

My understanding is the same as Hayden. Most people buy apple juice and then you could use a 5l water bottle, drink the water, or tip it and then add the apple juice. My results with bread yeast have been awful. I would just buy a wine yeast from Wilko’s.

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Sat May 05, 2018 10:45 am

A guy at homebrew club occasionally brings wine made with Orange Juice. It's quite common, search for WOW (Wurzels Orange Wine).

As for beer, the final pH of beer isn't that far away from that of Orange juice, so it isn't much of an issue to use in a beer. It's no different to using lemons in a Radler and can work quite well in an IPA. Beavertown Bloody 'ell springs to mind.

Not sure what type of Pruno you'll get with just OJ and bread yeast though. And you'll need some shampoo bottles for when it's fermented. ;-)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat May 05, 2018 2:08 pm

Sadfield wrote:Not sure what type of Pruno you'll get with just OJ and bread yeast though. And you'll need some shampoo bottles for when it's fermented. ;-)

I wondered how long that was going to take :)

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Sat May 05, 2018 2:22 pm

f00b4r wrote:
Sadfield wrote:Not sure what type of Pruno you'll get with just OJ and bread yeast though. And you'll need some shampoo bottles for when it's fermented. ;-)

I wondered how long that was going to take :)
Glad to oblige with the obvious, easy answer.