Brewing with non sugar drinks

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Big oiler Jim
Tippler

Brewing with non sugar drinks

Post by Big oiler Jim » Sat May 19, 2018 11:03 pm

Hi there
I have heard it on the net ells where that you can brew from things like milk and rice. But non of them contain sugar so how is this posible please?

McMullan

Re: Brewing with non sugar drinks

Post by McMullan » Sun May 20, 2018 2:02 pm

Google 'carbohydrate'. You can ferment milk, but it's a different kind of fermentation. You could try this, though:

Let us know how it goes.

Oneiroi
Sober

Post by Oneiroi » Sun May 20, 2018 11:40 pm

Rice, potatoes, corn etc (and barley for that matter) contain starches which can be converted to fermentable sugars.

For normal barley beer this done by your enzymes in the mashing process.

My understanding with fermenting potatoes for vodka is that some grain is used in the mash to provide the enzymes to break down the starches (or I think you can buy amalayse enzymes directly).

Milk contains sugar in the form of lactose which most beer yeast strains can’t ferment but I believe others can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big oiler Jim
Tippler

Post by Big oiler Jim » Sun May 20, 2018 11:56 pm

Mullan, I could not understand much when I googled carbohydrate

But Oneioi, yes I understand what you mean about turning starches into sugar as I have done this with barley for brewing beer before.

What I would like to do is brew a 1 lite supermarket carton of tomato juice. Do you think this is posible and if so how could I do it
Turning starch to sugar requires cooking it at a said temprature, but I can not see that working with my carton of tomato juice. What do you think please?

Big oiler Jim
Tippler

Post by Big oiler Jim » Sun May 20, 2018 11:57 pm

Big oiler Jim wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 11:56 pm
Mullan, I could not understand much when I googled carbohydrate

But Oneioi, yes I understand what you mean about turning starches into sugar as I have done this with barley for brewing beer before.

What I would like to do is brew a 1 lite supermarket carton of tomato juice (as I really love tomatos). Do you think this is posible and if so how could I do it
Turning starch to sugar requires cooking it at a said temprature, but I can not see that working with my carton of tomato juice. What do you think please?

Oneiroi
Sober

Post by Oneiroi » Mon May 21, 2018 12:12 am

Well I doubt there’s much starch and probably not much sugar in the juice but if that’s what floats you’re boat I’d just throw the yeast in and see what happens.

Could always add some table sugar to boost the fermentables although at that point maybe just add some vodka and make a Bloody Mary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk