Hoopèrs dandelion and burdock

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Mjr6313
Piss Artist

Hoopèrs dandelion and burdock

Post by Mjr6313 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:59 pm

I'm a fan of foraging and make wine by the truck load with what I collect, does anyone know a rough recipe for the Hoopers drink I could make with foraged goods I reminds me of panda pops as a child also its just so refreshing.
Thank you

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Hoopèrs dandelion and burdock

Post by Jim » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:35 am

Anyone?

The only thing I've ever foraged for is rose hips.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:56 pm

There is a recipe for something using dandelion and burdock in Andy Hamilton's Booze for Free. I'll check tonight. I think it uses the root of both plants.

And no idea how it compares to the Hoopers one.

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:05 am

Just a heads up if you’ve never used dandelion root. I dug up some for an alcoholic ‘pop’ and it was a right chew on to clean the mud out of the roots. I ended up using a toothbrush, but it still didn’t seem truly clean of mud.

Mjr6313
Piss Artist

Post by Mjr6313 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:28 am

Did you not pick blackberries as a kid or go picking apples. that must have been dull I have always been outside an I'm confident that I could survive most of the year from plants (somthings are better than others) but foraging is just free resources from what I collected in the last 2 weeks I have 30 bottles of wine on the go some blackberry, elderberry, late flowering elderflower, and a cherry I still have more to make its cheap and taste great with very little effort I can take my kids out on a little walk pick some food have a picnic have a laugh come home and have a nice drink of blackberry ade of somthing.
My wife wanted me to get a hobby now I make beer. She says I'm always in my shed I KEEP TELLING HER IT WAS HER IDEA.

Mjr6313
Piss Artist

Post by Mjr6313 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:32 am

And mud is a pain I soak and scrub with tooth brush then what I can, i grate like getting zest from a lemon but it can be worth it in the end.
I have herd of the technique of put it in the cooker on a medium heat for15-20 mins to dry it knock it off plus it could give the root a toasted character I guess.
My wife wanted me to get a hobby now I make beer. She says I'm always in my shed I KEEP TELLING HER IT WAS HER IDEA.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:59 am

If it's hooper's you want you'd be better off brewing a plain base (ie prohibition kits), killing the yeast off, adding d&b concentrate and force carbing. There's nothing really natural about those kinds of drinks, they're made from the same stuff as pop and ice cream flavourings.
Otherwise I had a great smooth d&b porter a few years back, just a suggestion 😁

Mjr6313
Piss Artist

Post by Mjr6313 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:33 pm

That's not my style I like to do it properly like most brewers from scratch. I forage with the family and I love the taste of DnB it makes a great low caffine coffee but a real pain to make at home,
Back to the (BEER STYLE) I guess it could be a base of light lager malt with some dark special malt low in flavour to add colour with added treacle for favouring and colour, hops if any would be the challenge low ibus slight floral Finnish dryhopping with raw roots for 5 days.

That is starting to sound like the beginnings of a recipie any thoughts.