Beef and Ale pie recipe needed desperately

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
Deebee
Even further under the Table

Beef and Ale pie recipe needed desperately

Post by Deebee » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:42 am

Hi all.

After having been home over the summer i am desperate for a good beef and ale pie recipe.

i ate some at a restaurant. one was so disgusting i never got past the crust. the second was so dry it was like the bottom of a dried sausepan in pastry, the last was absolutely f*cking amazing but the chef refused to let me have the recipe .. git.

So i appeal to all of you who may wish to help an ex pat out here.. please.. there are so many recipies online but i want something tried and tested. Ale is something i have in many different varieties.

Thanks
Dave
Running for Childrens cancer in the Windsor Half marathon.
Please consider helping a good cause:)

Mr. Dripping

Re: Beef and Ale pie recipe needed desperately

Post by Mr. Dripping » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:05 am

I just make a nice thick beef and ale stew and use this for the pie filling. Usually just brown the meat off (braising steak) season well, add chopped onions (or shallots if I have them) and diced carrots, fry off a little more, crumble in a beef stock cube and then cover with beer (usually something dark(ish)). Lid on the casserole dish and then in to the oven for at least 3 hours at around 160 degrees. Take the lid off for last half hour of cooking if there is still a bit too much liquid so that it can evaporate and thicken. You can make this the day before and refrigerate overnight.
Do you need a full recipe? Pastry too??
Last edited by Mr. Dripping on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deebee

Post by Deebee » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:32 am

Mr. Dripping wrote:I just make a nice thick beef and ale stew and use this for the pie filling. Usually just brown the meat off (braising steak) season well, add chopped onions (or shallots if I have them) and diced carrots, fry off a little more, crumble in a beef stock cube and then cover with beer (usually something dark(ish)). Lid on the casserole dish and then in to the oven for at least 3 hours at around 160 degrees. Take the lid off for last half hour of cooking is there is still a bit too much liquid so that it can evaporate and thicken. You can make this the day before and refrigerate overnight.
Do you need a full recipe? Pastry too??
No pastry is ok. I always thought that i needed to marinade the beef in ale though
Dave

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:34 am

I've never done that Deebee. Just use the ale in place of water / liquid stock.

Deebee

Post by Deebee » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:37 am

Mr. Dripping wrote:I've never done that Deebee. Just use the ale in place of water / liquid stock.
roll on the weekend!
Dave

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:54 am

The one on the BBC website is good :) I've done that one a few times
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

killer
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by killer » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:27 am

I do the same as Mr Dripping.

A handful of flour (normal or cornstarch - and a quick stir) just before the stock goes in will help it thicken nicely.

PhilB
Piss Artist

Post by PhilB » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:50 am

Hi Dave

I must admit I've never followed their recipe (at the end) :oops: ... but I do find the way that that article from the Guardian (link) shows all its "working out", discussing the pros and cons of the different options, makes an interesting read :?

I suppose, as when brewing beer, getting this right is too important to just accept someone else's recipe. You should recognise "Beef and Ale Pie" not merely as a simple foodstuff, but as a "style" of food, and you need to consider what sort of pie you intended to make, within the "style guidelines" :wink: :D :D

Cheers, PhilB

Deebee

Post by Deebee » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:12 pm

PhilB wrote:Hi Dave

I must admit I've never followed their recipe (at the end) :oops: ... but I do find the way that that article from the Guardian (link) shows all its "working out", discussing the pros and cons of the different options, makes an interesting read :?

I suppose, as when brewing beer, getting this right is too important to just accept someone else's recipe. You should recognise "Beef and Ale Pie" not merely as a simple foodstuff, but as a "style" of food, and you need to consider what sort of pie you intended to make, within the "style guidelines" :wink: :D :D

Cheers, PhilB
he he never been one to care about style guidelines mate. So i will make the ppie and as long as it is edible i am happy... wont be doing a 25 litre batch though:)
Dave

steambrew
Piss Artist

Post by steambrew » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:25 pm

I make a very good ale pie this way (1) marinade meat over night after you have seasoned it in a good strong ale (2) fry onion (3) part boil carrot and celery (4) make a stock using boul beef stock (5) combine all together using some of your ale , =D> using corn flour to thicken the last of your ale place in a dish adding a good thick pastry crust (you could use suet for a change )

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:37 pm

Thyme, and a couple of anchovies, for seasoning and the umami boost. Star Anise when browning the meat, apparently enhances the beefiness, according to Heston Blooming'ell.

chivelegs

Post by chivelegs » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:06 pm

My missus makes a damn fine steak and ale pie. 'Secret' ingredients include....a bay leaf, black pudding, a pint of my homebrew stout and a pork chop. Cook the filling for as long as possible so the meat is utterly melting.

Deebee

Post by Deebee » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:07 pm

So a 25 litre batch it is then:)
thanks for the help gents
Dave

DeGarre

Post by DeGarre » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:46 pm

For the crust I do 5 parts flour to 4 parts butter. It needs to be flaky and buttery.

Maysie

Post by Maysie » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:22 pm

This is one of my favourite dishes!
A couple of tips (from the Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall 'MEAT' book I use a lot):

Use good quality braising/stewing beef and coat it in flour which has been seasoned with salt and pepper.
Fry it off in a HOT!! pan with some regular oil in the bottom, so that the meat properly browns, don't crowd the pan else it will strew in its own juices. Do it in batches if necassary. You need to 'caramelise' the meat as thats wher ethe flavour comes from.
Spoon it out into a bowl and then turn the heat down for frying your onions, carrots, bay leaves etc as others have suggested.
Throw the meat back into the pan, cover it in a decent beer and a dollop of good stock and chuck it in the over at around 160C for a couple of hours.
When done let it cool.

The following day, make your pie as you would normally, it'll be gorgeous.
Don't forget to pick out the bay leaves though...