I hate this name, but: Ris-oat-o

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
Laripu
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

I hate this name, but: Ris-oat-o

Post by Laripu » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:19 am

As you might guess from the name, this is a risotto-like side dish made from oats.

It's dead simple, and very tasty.

You start with a strong broth. I used a broth made from the carcass of a smoked turkey, but a beef broth would be good, or even a strong, garlicky chicken broth. (I'm going to try it with fish broth one day.) They're should be bits of meat, vegetables etc.

The oats must be steel cut oats, not rolled oats, definitely not quick oats. I used McCann's, from Ireland.

The other ingredient is fresh mushrooms. The variety of mushroom is immaterial, cheap button mushrooms are good, just not canned or dried.

4 cups broth
1 cup steel cut oats
From 250 to 450g of fresh mushrooms, chopped into 1 cm pieces. Amount to taste.

Bring the broth to a boil. Add the oats. Cook for a short time, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the mushrooms and simmer another 15 minutes. Oats should be cooked, but not mushy.

This was a hit with Mrs Laripu. I like it a lot too. It's a very masculine side dish.
Secondary FV: As yet unnamed Weizenbock ~7%
Bulk aging: Soodo: Grocery store grape juice wine experiment.
Drinking: Mostly Canadian whisky until I start brewing again.

EoinMag

Re: I hate this name, but: Ris-oat-o

Post by EoinMag » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:55 pm

Laripu wrote:As you might guess from the name, this is a risotto-like side dish made from oats.

It's dead simple, and very tasty.

You start with a strong broth. I used a broth made from the carcass of a smoked turkey, but a beef broth would be good, or even a strong, garlicky chicken broth. (I'm going to try it with fish broth one day.) They're should be bits of meat, vegetables etc.

The oats must be steel cut oats, not rolled oats, definitely not quick oats. I used McCann's, from Ireland.

The other ingredient is fresh mushrooms. The variety of mushroom is immaterial, cheap button mushrooms are good, just not canned or dried.

4 cups broth
1 cup steel cut oats
From 250 to 450g of fresh mushrooms, chopped into 1 cm pieces. Amount to taste.

Bring the broth to a boil. Add the oats. Cook for a short time, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the mushrooms and simmer another 15 minutes. Oats should be cooked, but not mushy.

This was a hit with Mrs Laripu. I like it a lot too. It's a very masculine side dish.
It's savoury porridge....interesting.