Knives

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Knives

Post by floydmeddler » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:25 pm

Right... my knives are horrendous. I have 2 blunt knives in my kitchen - that's it. What's good? I want something that will last but not ridiculously expensive...

Cheers!

AnthonyUK

Re: Knives

Post by AnthonyUK » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:10 pm

I can't recommend any particular knife but this sharpener made all of our kitchen knives are now lethally sharp after using it - http://www.amazon.co.uk/AnySharp-Global ... B001DXVL6K

Combine this with a diamond steel to keep your knife sharp as the above sharpener does remove quite a lot of material if used too often.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:17 pm

I personally find that the knife matters less than the sharpener and also how its used....

Most sets sold in supermarkets, etc are fine for everyday use but you need to keep on top of the sharpening - 99% of them are some grade of stainless, which takes but won't hold a decent edge for long. Carbon steel blades are much better, but require careful husbandry as they rust easily.

Get one of these :

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/AnySharp-GARDEN ... nav=SEARCH

Two quick swipes every other time you draw the knife for use will keep a keen edge.

Lastly, and most importantly.... Use a timber or polymer chopping board !! Soooo many people wonder why chopping on the worktop or god forbid, a glass board leads to insta-blunt blades.....
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:32 pm

Do you use your local butcher??
That's who I got my last knives from.....they are Victorinox, good quality but not ridiculously expensive.

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:53 pm

Cheers lads. Few leads to follow up on now. :-)

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:31 pm

Mr. Dripping wrote:Do you use your local butcher??
That's who I got my last knives from.....they are Victorinox, good quality but not ridiculously expensive.
Just bought one. Cheers!

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:05 am

Procook are actually not bad for knives, their X50 range are reasonable, although if I was buying a set again I woudl probably go for their X100 Damascus range . . .very nice for mass produced Japanese steel.

Although If you really want to look at Knives of beauty then smoething like the Masakage Kumo Range are just incredible, and with a VG100 core will hold an edge like you wouldn't believe. I've got my eye on the Santuko from that range, just trying to justify it to myself that I really 'need' another knife :roll:

As for sharpening a range of stones . . . 240 /800 / 2000 grit and a 10,000 grit ceramic steel are by far the best way to put an edge on a knife.

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:47 am

Aleman wrote:Procook are actually not bad for knives, their X50 range are reasonable, although if I was buying a set again I woudl probably go for their X100 Damascus range . . .very nice for mass produced Japanese steel.

Although If you really want to look at Knives of beauty then smoething like the Masakage Kumo Range are just incredible, and with a VG100 core will hold an edge like you wouldn't believe. I've got my eye on the Santuko from that range, just trying to justify it to myself that I really 'need' another knife :roll:

As for sharpening a range of stones . . . 240 /800 / 2000 grit and a 10,000 grit ceramic steel are by far the best way to put an edge on a knife.
I was speaking to a couple of chefs and they spend a ridiculous amount of time sharpening their knives which I understand if you rely on them for your career.
Whilst I agree that these expensive knives keep sharp longer, unless you are using it all day long in a professional environment, I agree with Pinto that most decent stainless knives will be more than adequate if kept sharp. I have a western hollow edge nakiri that I had just sharpened on the Anysharp and took a 2mm tip of a finger off :oops:
I'm totally with you on the Japanese craftsmanship though. They are truly things of beauty.

If you need a knife to stay sharper for long the price of ceramic knifes is on par with steel but you will probably need another sharpener.
Last edited by AnthonyUK on Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

BarnsleyBrewer
Under the Table

Post by BarnsleyBrewer » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:49 am

AnthonyUK wrote:I can't recommend any particular knife but this sharpener made all of our kitchen knives are now lethally sharp after using it - http://www.amazon.co.uk/AnySharp-Global ... B001DXVL6K

Combine this with a diamond steel to keep your knife sharp as the above sharpener does remove quite a lot of material if used too often.
Good sharpener...........
"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2021......... 104
Pints brewed in 2018.. 416
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416 - Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624 - Pints brewed in 2014.. 832

boingy

Post by boingy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:50 pm

Even budget stainless knives are fine if you get into the habit of giving them a quick swipe in a sharpener each time you use them. It's almost automatic for me now.

If it passes the tomato test it's sharp enough...

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:09 pm

Fold a piece of A4 lengthwise and stand it on your choppping block. now try and cut it with your knife. If it does it like this . . . Then your knife is sharp enough ;)

Although slicing a bit of a squidgy tomato and standing it on your chopping block and then slicing thin bits off it horizontally without holding the tomato is also a pretty good test