Curry

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
BrewerBen

Curry

Post by BrewerBen » Mon May 02, 2016 9:57 am

As I cant brew at the moment here's a curry in the style of a brewday...

I'm a big fan of Rick Steins India book and recently acquired a wood burning stove, which is made in India to do some cooking outdoors while the kitchen is being built so here is my first proper go on it. I've gone for the chicken pulao, aloo gobi and some naan breads.

Ingredient list along with a glass of home brewed Witbier:

Simmering the stock for the pulao:

Frying the ingredients for the aloo gobi and cooking a naan on a tawa.

Pulau combined, i did cover with tin foil so it would steamand the aloo gobi simmering away

All done:

Result was very tasty. It all took longer than expected, the naans didn't help as i was juggling cooking 3 things on 2 hobs but it was all good fun.
Its also easy to take you eye off the fire and forget to keep it stoked up letting the temp drop.

Clibit
Under the Table

Re: Curry

Post by Clibit » Mon May 02, 2016 10:20 am

Looks wicked. Where did you get the stove?

BrewerBen

Post by BrewerBen » Mon May 02, 2016 10:25 am

http://www.thecharcoalburnercompany.co.uk

They do some very compact charcoal burners too which i'm tempted to get one of as well.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon May 02, 2016 10:30 am

BrewerBen wrote:http://www.thecharcoalburnercompany.co.uk

They do some very compact charcoal burners too which i'm tempted to get one of as well.
Cheers, I might have to buy the book as well. The naan looks great. It all does.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Mon May 02, 2016 10:42 am

Looks very tasty.

BrewerBen

Post by BrewerBen » Mon May 02, 2016 4:37 pm

Thanks, i've done a few recipe's from the book and all have turned out good. The rosewater biriyani is amazing. What i like about the book is it not all about meat curries there is loads of vegetable and fish dishes. The tv series that went with the book is also well worth watching. I find rick steins stuff a bit hit and miss but the Idnian and far Eastern odyssey i'd say are his best.

stevej383

Post by stevej383 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:53 pm

Now that looks bloody Lovely Ben, i have a few of Ricks books and they have all been good imo thought id better get this one to add to the collection 15 quid ebay bargain!
Is there anything in the book that stands out from the rest of the recipes?

Steve

BrewerBen

Post by BrewerBen » Mon May 02, 2016 5:40 pm

The rosewater biriyani has been my favorite so far, its nothing like the biriyani in restaurants over here its much better, much more aromatic. Its quite a faff to make but well worth it (don't skip the rosewater its expensive but you add so little it lasts ages). I was tempted to try it on the wood stove but went for the simpler pulao instead although i did add some rosewater to it.
The aloo gobi is a classic and really good but another veg dish i tried that stands out is "vegtable makhanawala". The sauce reminds me of tikka massala and was quite rich and creamy.
Aloo Dum i've done several times, Potatoes with peas tomatoes and is quite a dry curry, when i ran out of hobs on a curry night i did a version of it in the oven and again was really good. A random one i tried was Egg Molee, a really simple curry of boiled eggs in a coconut sauce. I didn't expect to like a egg curry but it was delicious. The vindaloo has been my favourite meaty curry so far, its not blow your head of hot (although still pretty hot) but it has a sourness to it from taramind and vinegar that you don't get in indian restaurants.
The recipes in the book are nothing like the food you get in indian restaurants over here, its all more aromatic,spicy and varied than i expected and so far have liked every recipe i've done but have so far only scratched the surface.

stevej383

Post by stevej383 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:45 pm

Thank you for your reply Ben that certainly will give me a good starting point with the book =D>

Regards Steve

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Mon May 02, 2016 10:28 pm

Not tempted to try a brew on one of these then ;)

http://the-charcoal-burner-company.mysh ... s/orca-80l
can take upto 120l pots ??? how much timber could one consume maintaining a rolling boil for 90 mins???

Interesting stoves for sure, and a smashing meal to serve up too, YUM!!
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Cqr

Post by Cqr » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:32 pm

The bread looks great, any chance of posting the ingredients please

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:26 pm

The Curry Bible by Pat somebody or other,is a good book. However,restricted to Slimming World curry at the moment,which is actually pretty amazing.
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:42 pm

lord.president wrote:The Curry Bible by Pat somebody or other,is a good book. However,restricted to Slimming World curry at the moment,which is actually pretty amazing.
Pat Chapman, he's written loads but the curry bible is probably the best. The Classic Bhuna recipe is so easy and just delicious.

Brewdoug
Sober

Post by Brewdoug » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:03 pm

Wow! Only £6 for the Rick Stein book on Amazon and if you add another book to take the order value over £10 delivery is free.

Those cookers are a bit pricey though and all out of stock.

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:45 pm

Cqr wrote:The bread looks great, any chance of posting the ingredients please
These are the best naans I have ever made. My go to recipe now.

YouTube Link