IPHONE AND IPAD BREWPAL SOFTWARE

A pre-moderated forum for linking to affiliated brewing organisations and sites of special interest.
dynamic dave

IPHONE AND IPAD BREWPAL SOFTWARE

Post by dynamic dave » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:07 pm

I have used Brew-pal on my iPhone with success cost 58p and brew-sparg was free only issue you have watch is bitterness is IBU and my recipes book was in EBU anyway here's a link for full details anything your unsure about feel free to ask.

http://www.brewpal.info/

Allows a print out of your brew this was my first one using brewpal.

Summer Lightening
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Batch size 23 litres
Boil size 29.29 litres
Boil time 90 minutes
Grain weight 4 kilograms
Efficiency 75%
Original gravity 1.041
Final gravity 1.009
Alcohol (by volume) 4.2%
Bitterness (IBU) 29
Color (SRM) 7.5°L

Yeast
9 dry grams
Dry
Fermentis Safale S-04

Grains/Extracts/Sugars
4 kilograms
Maris Otter
38ppg, 4°L 3.5 kilograms
87.5%
Crystal 30L
35ppg, 30°L 0.5 kilograms
12.5%

Hops
30 grams
Simcoe hops
12.9%, Whole 20 grams
Willamette hops
6.7%, Pellet 5 grams
Bobek hops
3.8%, Whole 5 grams

Infusion Mash
90 minutes, 35.74 litres
Strike
Target 67°C 12.52 litres
73°C
90 minutes (+0)
Sparge
Target 77°C 23.22 litres
83°C

Boil
90 minutes, 29.29 litres
Simcoe hops
12.9%, Whole 20 grams
60 minutes (+30)
Bobek hops
3.8%, Whole 5 grams
20 minutes (+70)
Willamette hops
6.7%, Pellet 5 grams
20 minutes (+70)
Wort chiller 15 minutes (+75)

Ferment
14 days @ 15-24°C

Sent from my iPhone

lancsSteve

Re: IPHONE AND IPAD BREWPAL SOFTWARE

Post by lancsSteve » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:08 pm

Great software - I've used it for ages (and currently trying to get a paper published about iPods in brewing and mobile learning... Might be doing more research on this - would you or other users be interested in being involved?) and love how intuitive and easy it is to use and some features like matching to BJCP style guides.

However Beer Alchemy Touch is now my preferred software - more complex to use and learn but FAR more comprehensive and detailed in its record-keeping, inventory management etc. It's written by Steve Flack who posts here a lot and is WELL worth the £6 price tag.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Love Brewpal, indispensable. Problem is I always drop my shiny iphone 4 cause i'm constantly whipping it out and i'm a clumsy b'stard.

phatboytall
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by phatboytall » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:00 am

Brewpal is great! So simple! Is it just me or do the IBU's seem way below what they should be? If i'm right i could have an awesomely hoppy Pale Ale in the fermentor!

Only thing that annoys me is that its iphone only, can't copy recipies to the mac and edit them, or design new ones, then sync back to the iphone to take out to the garage....

Any software that does this?
I am not a Beer expert.....thats exactly the point.

Check out my blog where i review bottled beers
http://www.thebeerbunker.co.uk/ or find me on twitter @thebeerbunker

lancsSteve

Post by lancsSteve » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:40 am

BeerAlchemy touch on iPod/iPhone/iPad will sync with beer alchemy on Mac and and also allows import/export via wifi as html, beer xml or .rec files. (And does lots of other things BrewPal won't)

My approach now is to formulate approximately in BrewPal as it's quick and intuitive then export and import into BeerAlchemy touch and work it up properly there and use that to make all the notes on progress etc. etc.

Re bitterness - you can change it between tinseth or rager in settings - which makes a BIG difference. (current recipe gives 43IBU rager, 34 IBU tinseth) - this could be the reason?

I dropped my iPod brewing on Saturday #-o and cracked screen - again :( still working fine [-o< but wish I'd started out with a case and screen protector as it's thrashed now but I didn't at the start as I was given it for a research project and never asked for it back...

dynamic dave

Post by dynamic dave » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks for the advice I still do not no which scale to use whats the difference between RAGER and TINSETH I thought the scales were EBU and IBU.

after a little research i found Tinseth is often quoted as most accurate for small scale brewing.

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:51 pm

I use tinseth as it seems to give a better match to how I percieve bitterness. In the end though, they're all estimates.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:34 am

I use Tinseth too but it still underestimates I think, I tend to bump up the IBUs by 5 - 15 depending on yeast.

phatboytall
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by phatboytall » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:54 am

[quote="lancsSteve"]BeerAlchemy touch on iPod/iPhone/iPad will sync with beer alchemy on Mac and and also allows import/export via wifi as html, beer xml or .rec files. (And does lots of other things BrewPal won't)

" A serial number that will unlock up to three copies of BeerAlchemy costs $29.95 and is available from our online store "

What am i going to do with the other 2 copies!?

Anyone got any spare unused serials? :wink: :D It looks like a neat bit of kit to be fair
I am not a Beer expert.....thats exactly the point.

Check out my blog where i review bottled beers
http://www.thebeerbunker.co.uk/ or find me on twitter @thebeerbunker

lancsSteve

Post by lancsSteve » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:50 am

[quote="phatboytall"]" A serial number that will unlock up to three copies of BeerAlchemy costs $29.95 and is available from our online store "

What am i going to do with the other 2 copies!?

Anyone got any spare unused serials? :wink: /quote]

One for work, one for home, one for laptop? THin it's great to enable multiple installs at same price - and a demo version that is 30 days or 7 launches (whichever is longer).

Going to try it myself now and see how it plays with iPod version. However I wouldn't begrudge steve_flack (yes - him wot posted above :wink: ) £19.08 by trying to find some spare licenses... :oops:

smeggedup
Hollow Legs

Post by smeggedup » Fri May 06, 2011 12:27 am

I just love the brew pal software
Its help me learn quite alot about brewing, even to the point that it's helping me get ready for my first all grain, I do think if it wasn't for the app I would be months behind where I am now in terms of understanding the stuff that's going on.
Drink till she's cute, but stop before the wedding

If i can't brew it i dont drink it

keeper of yeast

hate work on beer nights

BazC

Post by BazC » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:23 pm

Is Brewpal UK friendly as far as units etc go?

lancsSteve

Post by lancsSteve » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:21 pm

does metric fine thoufg the imperial measures are US

BazC

Post by BazC » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:42 pm

OK thanks.

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:51 pm

+1 for brew pal, Its so easy to formulate recipes on it makes all grain brewing childs play.

I broke my ipod screen the other day and had to put off brewing beer until the new one arrived, i rely on it that much :)

I just downloaded Beer Alchemy for 3 quid and first impressions are its not as intuitive to use as bre pal although there is a lot more going on.